Week 1 Post-Op, Custom Lasik with IntraLase, Blended Vision

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Week 1 Post-Op, Custom Lasik with IntraLase, Blended Vision

Postby joel51 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:37 am

Well, it’s day 7 after my surgery and I’m starting to feel better about the decision I made to correct my vision. I’ve read a lot on other people’s experiences with Lasik but I haven’t found too much information on how folks are doing after having blended vision correction.

Before I get into my own experience I want to share this definition of blended vision that I found on the Internet. It helped me understand the difference between blended vision and monovision.

Blended vision differs from monovision in that your two eyes are more similar to each other (up to 1.5D difference, whereas in monovision they'll be from 1.5D to 3 D different). That enables the brain to blend their information more easily.

Why I chose blended vision?

Before my surgery, my left eye was -3.50 and my right eye, -3.25. I had moderate astigmatism in both eyes, the worse in my left eye. Besides myopia and astigmatism, I also have presbyopia. I’m 51 years old. Without glasses I could read a book just fine but it was getting difficult to read fine print. My left eye is dominant.

I was hoping with blended vision I could both see far and read a book without glasses.

Why I chose Custom Lasik?

After interpreting the results of the wavefront and other tests, my doctor determined that I had some high order aberrations, the type that causes night vision problems, etc., so he recommended Custom Lasik to correct these.

I won’t get into the details of the surgery except to say it went very smoothly and with little pain. It was a lot easier than sitting in a dentist chair, that’s for sure.

Day after surgery - The day after the surgery my right eye was seeing 20/15 but I couldn’t read anything up close. My left eye didn’t focus on anything up close or far. For the first time since I can remember (if ever) I could see TV clearly without glasses even though it was with only my right eye.

Day 1 through day 4 – My right eye, the one corrected for near vision, was pretty much being used for far and near vision. My left eye still was unable to focus on anything at any distance far or up close.

Day 5 through Current – The vision in my left eye has started to come into focus. In fact, now I can see better at far distances with my left eye than with my right eye. This is how it’s supposed to be. I still have some focusing problems with my left eye from 50 feet, or so, and closer. My right eye can read the computer screen and large print but I can’t read any fine print up close. I’m afraid to cut my finger nails at this point without reading glasses.

My wife and I went out to eat today and she had to read the menu for me. This is the first time ever that I couldn’t read a menu with the eyes I was born with. I could have whipped out the reading glasses but it was much easier having my wife pick something out for me.

At night I am experiencing the halo and star burst effects. The front end of cars looks like large fuzzy see through cotton balls with two eyes. I guess this is to be expected at this early stage after surgery.

At first I was really depressed and regretting that I went with this surgery. But it’s only been 7 days. I have another eye examine in 23 days. By then I’m hoping things will continue to improve.

I’ll keep you all posted on my progress with blended vision at time goes by.

Does anyone have similar experiences with blended/monovision correction?

Thanks for listening.
Joel
joel51

blended vision

Postby mbalk » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:00 pm

Joel,
I too am very depressed. I had LASIK done 3 d ago and my left eye is at +0.25 and right is at -0.50. I was a mild myope and could read SUPER without glasses. I am 46 yo. Though I can see 600 ft away now I havehad extreme difficulty with the computer and cannot enjoy the morning paper, a book, or a nighttime novel. I want my old eyes back and am scared. How has your situation ended up since you last posted?
Michael
mbalk

Return to Just Had It