Sudden Regression

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Sudden Regression

Postby h2ogds » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:41 pm

My original surgery was 8/99. My enhancement was 5/2000. Have enjoyed excellent distance vision since then....seven years with only reading glasses (couldn't do monovision). Readers have been +3.00 the entire time. This past Monday AM, I woke up to blurry distance vision and perfect near vision. Tolerated it for a day or two just in case, and had an eye exam on Wednesday. Eye itself healthy - no cataracts, mag degen, retinopathy, etc. Just a shift to a -1.50 in each eye. Any clues why? No changes in medication for the last 5 years.

Thanks.

Adrienne
h2ogds

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:57 am

A myopic shift with a cataract would be a reasonable suspect, but not overnight (literally) and your doctor has excluded cataracts. Two possibilities come to mind: pregnancy and menopause. Both cause disruption to hormones and can be associated with sudden changes in refractive error.

You mentioned that you have had no changes in meds in the last five years, but have those meds included hormone replacement therapy? Any changes in over-the-counter medications? Allergy problems? Diet changes?

Since your eye doctor finds no pathology to explain this, I recommend you see your general physician.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Sudden Regression

Postby h2ogds » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:26 pm

No HRT, menopause several years behind me so definitely not pregnant. Allergies more intense than usual, but no new allergies and I've had them almost since birth. No diet or OTC changes either. Weird. Do have a previously scheduled appointment with my internist and this is on the list for discussion.

A week into this shift, I find that it is fluctuating a little, more on the near vision side than anything else. Can see the computer sharply without spectacles, but reading a book sometimes requires them.

Assuming this becomes stable at this point, would it make sense to pursue another refractive procedure if there is enough cornea left to allow it?

Thanks.

Adrienne
h2ogds

Return to Had It A While Ago