16.5 months post-LASIK

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

16.5 months post-LASIK

Postby Wampyere » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:13 pm

I had bilateral LASIK op in early Jun 2006. It was not a successful operation, I developed severe DLK in both eyes (I wasn't able to see for almost 2.5 weeks), severe dry eyes & ghosting (with central island). Somedays after that, the left corneal flap was out of its position (had a sleepless night as it was painful). It was repositioned the following day. Few weeks after that, I had epithelium in growth in both eyes. Of course, a mechanical debridement (having the flap uplifted) was performed on both of eyes. During this torturous period, I was under intensive topical theraphy; prednisolone, preservative free eye drops, antibiotics etc. In comparison, the condition of my left eye was worst then the right eye.

In Sept 2006, I had to leave to another country to further my education. I begin to taper down the steroid eye drops and I noticed that both eyes became uncomfortable despite using preservative free eye drops. I visited the local ophthalmologist, and true enough, there was the development of peripheral infiltration of the corneal flaps. I was given aggressive steroid therapy - and I guess the Dr. overlooked it, and I developed secondary glaucoma. This was somewhere on Dec 2006. I waited few days (while I was on anti-glaucoma drugs) for the semester break. I got back to my country and visited my LASIK surgeon, he was quite pissed with the doctor that treated me overthere;- as the doctor didn't bothered to monitor my eye pressure (IOP).

The left eye was so hazy that he recommended it to be cleaned up, again another mechanical debridement procedure was performed. The right eye, in the meantime, was doing quite well. I was given topical Efemoline (mild steroid with vasoconstrictor activity) for both eyes and was told to taper it after 3 months. So after spending a month, so-called ‘medical holiday’, I continued my education abroad. After 3 months, the left eye developed the peripheral infiltration once again. The right eye was doing totally fine. I had another mechanical debridement for the left eye (Jun 2007). I was once again on topical steroids, solcoseryl and Systane.

I continued my education abroad once again. Till this very date, my left eye hasn’t stabilize. I still feel that the flap is edematous and probably I’m suspecting that a 3rd wave of infiltration is present right now in the left eye. I’m currently under Efemoline (left eye) and solcoseryl (both eyes).

Overall, my right eye is alright, the haze has completely resolved. The left eye remains pretty hazy and on and off discomfort occurs. The dryness of my eyes were taken care off by the mild effects of Solcoseryl and greatly with that of Systane. Moisture chamber goggles (Panoptyx) promoted the healing in some ways.

It’s been 17 months right now. I really have no idea what’s going on. Anyone with similar case? I wish to know how are you guys coping or dealing with this sort of situation. Any sort of advice or comments would be welcomed.
Wampyere

Postby faithworks » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:59 pm

I am really sorry to hear of your condition and I can know your pain as I am going through this in the same fashion. I had m LASIK dony 4 months back and although my right eye is perfect, my left eye developed DLK. Since then, the haze in my left eye has gone. However, the DLK caused a scaring on my flap due to which I am having halos, ghosting and blurriness in vision with my left eye.

I want to ask you one very important question. After how many months did your right eye got perfectly fine after it developed DLK ? The haziness in my left eye due to DLK is also gone, but, I have a scaring now due to which I have problems. Did you develop any similar kind of scaring as well ? If you did, after how many months did it get get clear in your right eye.

I pray to god for your recovery and you should see well with your left eye as well you do with your right eye. Please answer my questions at the ealiest you could. Thanks. HAVE FAITH.... WILL WORK !!!
faithworks

Postby Wampyere » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:35 pm

I can't really say it... the positive development of the right eye was rather gradual. But well, I can roughly estimate from about 6 - 8 months. I suspect that my left eye is badly scarred, I'm not too sure.. it's pretty hazy.

What medications are you on at the moment?
Wampyere

Postby faithworks » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:40 pm

I am only on Restasis right now. But that is not to clear away the scaring. It is only to prevent dry-eyes. The scaring does not go away by any medication. We can only hope it resolves with healing. The other option which I have learnt and read is to wither away the scaring by PTK and consequesnt application of Mytomicin-C. Ask your doctor about that. Thank You. HAVE FAITH... WIL WORK !!!
faithworks

Postby faithworks » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:51 pm

Could yo tell me whether you had a scaring on your left eye ? or was it only a haze ?
faithworks

Postby Wampyere » Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:59 pm

I am really not sure, since I am abroad now... so, can't really say. But I guess it could be scars. Not sure :(
Wampyere

Return to Had It A While Ago