Almost 2-Years out with some Questions (Dry eye/twitching)

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Almost 2-Years out with some Questions (Dry eye/twitching)

Postby deanne72 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:53 am

I am almost 2 years post-LASIK. I have LASIK-induced dry eye and have to use Systane Preservative-Free drops several times everyday. (I go through a box every 3 days at $12/each.) My surgeon has never offered Restasis since my eyes do well with the Systane. But, I feel like I should be getting more relief, for a longer period of time, than I am. Has anyone ever tried Lacri-Lube at night?

My left eye is a generally crisp 20/20, and I am happy with it most of the time. My right eye is a distorted 20/25 (sometimes 20/30). I see double when looking at things like street lights and signs. Highway signs on long, dusty roads are especially annoying because I always close my eyes and compare how quickly the left eye sees things and how slowly the right eye does.

I had very bad vision with very high astigmatism before surgery. Other doctors who have seen my stuff think I should be VERY thrilled with my result. But, I have a constant fear that I have screwed my life up.

I have dizziness and headaches relatively often that I NEVER had before LASIK. And, I've had a poor (and unexplained) field of vision screening since. Plus, I am so scared of one of the severe complications like ectasia because I had a high correction with a 'thinner' cornea, so I never am completely comfortable. My newest symptom is an annoying twitch in my right eye that started last week. It will not go away except for a few seconds after I put in my drops. So, I'm curious if anyone has experience that?

To end on a positive note, I don't regret my LASIK. Life with 20 years of rigid gas permeable lenses still left me with sore, tired and red eyes everyday. I became intolerant after only wearing them an hour a day. Glasses were uncomfortable and never gave me crisp vision. I am extremely happy to not be dependent on corrective lenses, but at the same time, wish I had had the perfect LASIK experience I've heard about.
deanne72

Postby Walt » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:12 am

When I use the Systane I use a roll of ribbon and after one drop in each eye I take the cap that I broke off and snap it back in place then stand it up in the ribbon holder. This way i get 4 applications from one vial.

Also for experienced advice for "Dry Eye" use your favorite search engine and search for "Dry Eye Zone". This a group of folks that all experience dry eye for various reasons (not just lasik) and they can recommend things that will go a long way toward making your dry eye more comfortable.

Good Luck.
Walt

Postby rosecmd » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:16 pm

If you have dry eyes, I'd ask for a Restasis prescription and tackle the issue several ways. I agree with the web site Walt mentioned, they have great dry eye articles.
rosecmd

Postby deanne72 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:06 pm

Thank you a bunch. I have checked out that site and am thankful for the referral. My dry eyes are getting much worse. I've already used a box of Systane vials today.
deanne72

Postby rosecmd » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:35 am

Maybe you are using too many watery type tears and just washing away your own tears...do you think you are sensitive to the ingredients in Systane? Have you tried others? I like Refresh & Endura. I also like Genteal Gel, the new one in the tube. It's easy to squeeze 1/4 inch onto your lower eyelid. It's a thickish but drippy gel. Very soothing and spreads easily over the eye. I just had an enhancement and I have been doing this during the day and then closing my eyes for 10 minutes - it's very helpful and longer lasting than the watery tears which last for 2 minutes!

I also love warm compresses and eyelid hygiene for dry eye. A friend of mine shared a dry eye article in one of those university newsletters recently and someone was "cure" of her dry eye by going completely off drops, doing eyelid hygiene (which clears the way for the tiny oil glands that line your eyelid margins) and warm compresses.

In any case, your doctor should be able to help you...

Also, try the Thera Tears flax oil supplements...good luck!
rosecmd

Postby deanne72 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:13 am

You know, I have wondered if I am using them too much. But, they get irritated so easily that I am scared not to use drops. I have tried two other eyedrops and hated them. But, I do admit that I might not have tried long enough.
deanne72

dry eyes

Postby noodles » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:12 pm

Hi, I had pretty serious dry eye as well. My doctor put me on Restasis at about 8 months after the surgery. We were waiting to see if it resolved within the normal 6 month healing period and it didn't. At that point, I was using a great deal of the preservative free drops, tried systane, refresh plus, celluvisc, and endura, and a bunch of others. After being on Restasis for 3+ months, I've seen a great deal of difference most recently after being on them fro 3 months (which is what it takes until they reach full effectiveness). I take 1 drop in each eye in the morning and 1 before bed. As of this week, I no longer need gel overnight (which I had been doing nightly since surgery) and have all but eliminated other drops during the day. I am in a dry climate and in very dry office buildings all day, but have seen a great difference. I'm slightly under corrected, but have chosen to leave it since I am 41 years old. My night vision is slightly worse than day, so when driving at night and/or seeing a broadway show/play I wear glasses. But for day driving and everything else, I pretty much don't need any correction. Not the lasik miracle everyone else I know has had, but good enough to not go through the horrible months of dry eye again. You should ask your doctor about Restasis. It really worked, but takes 3 months to reach full effectiveness. I also take a flaxseed oil supplement every day. And, I consciously reduced the amount of drops I was putting in, because I felt like I may have been using them too frequently because they improved my vision so much and stopped the burning.
noodles

Return to Had It A While Ago