Grieving after monovision lasik surgery

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Grieving after monovision lasik surgery

Postby fayet » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:03 am

Hello, I feel real stupid! I gave up perfectly good vision for this. I should have done my research, I didn't. Then when I went in to see if I was a candidate, I felt slightly rushed to come in and get it done and I did. My near vision is causing me grief! I can't focus! I can't see my computer except its very close to me. I can't see clearly 6-8 feet in front of me. I see things but it's not clear. Last nite I drove to my sister's house. I came home and cried because I strained so bad trying to see and the blurred headlights gave me a headache. I am afraid that I have messed up! I am 10 days after my surgery, but I feel this is what it's going to be! I think I've made a mistake and am too afraid to think about doing something different now! Will I ever be able to focus? Please help!
fayet

Postby Pappy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:59 am

Hang tough, for some people the healing is a little bumpy and take much longer than a couple of days or even a couple of weeks.

Definitely tell your doc about what you are experiencing but from reading here and other boards you fall into that 8% of people who are going to have to wait it out for a few weeks.

Edema (swelling) will screw up your vision, some people can have this for awhile.

Dry eyes (your eyes are most certainly dry even if they don't feel it). Your eyes now have severed nurons which tell them give me tears. Use them regularly (once an hour or more) to assist as the healing continues.

I know it's hard (trust me) but time is your friend here. Things will settle and you'll know the final outcome. I wish I could tell you what that was but from all the posts you can see you are amoung company and most of those stories turned out fine.
Pappy

Mono Lasik Grieving

Postby fayet » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:54 am

Thank you so much for your reply! I think I actually saw better today and you are right, I need to increase my tear drops more frequently. I did read so many topics and replies on this website last nite until my 11 year old gave me words of encouragement and told me God is not going to let my eyesight go bad and to get off the computer because he wanted to get on it. Again thanks for your encouragement! I did let one of the post op doctors know about my vision and grief. He too said give it some time...
fayet

Re: Mono Lasik Grieving

Postby Pappy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:50 am

fayet wrote:Thank you so much for your reply! I think I actually saw better today and you are right, I need to increase my tear drops more frequently. I did read so many topics and replies on this website last nite until my 11 year old gave me words of encouragement and told me God is not going to let my eyesight go bad and to get off the computer because he wanted to get on it. Again thanks for your encouragement! I did let one of the post op doctors know about my vision and grief. He too said give it some time...

Ha, sounds like my kids. Reading the stories here will give you an idea that you are not the first and most likely not the last to go through a rough experience. It hopefully will ease at least the stress level a little (which will help in healing).

Best of luck.
Pappy

Postby bathory313 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:34 am

Give it a good six months to settle down completely. Try to stop fretting and stressing so much; it WILL even out.
bathory313

Mono Lasik Grieving

Postby fayet » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:35 am

Thanks to all! I feel better just getting this off my chest, cause these guys (at my house) don't exactly know how I feel. At least I can express myself and know that others out there know what I'm talking about.

It will only be 2 weeks for me on this Friday, can someone tell me if it's ok to do my full workout at LA Fitness and can I put make-up on now?
fayet

Postby Remander » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:00 am

Hang in there! I experienced a bit of frustration myself, even after a few weeks. It took enhancement and time to get the job done, but it all worked out fine.

I was not a happy camper during the period you are in now, but it worked out. Patience and tear drops!

Here is my long term story: http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert ... .php?t=820
Remander

Mono Lasik Grieving

Postby fayet » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:38 am

Thanks Remander for that story! It had to be therapeutic for you and I am happy for you. I'm doing better I think. I've had a couple of headaches. Honeslty I'm still worried! I think by nature, I'm a worrier, but hope it will all balance out for me. That darn right eye troubles me still (for near vision). I feel like something is in it all times. When driving, if I block out the right eye, I'm ok, but that's for distance. I don't know if my brain will successfully make the connection. I still feel like I made a mistake. Will have a follow tomorrow. Will post my results then.
fayet

Mono Lasik Grieving

Postby fayet » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:23 am

Well, I did have my follow-up on yesterday. I heard the same results I read from some of you. I had 20/20 in each eye individually, however, for both eyes I'm still in the healing process. I didn't push the issue. I was told again patience!!!! I was given a prescription for near vision to help w/my middle vision, but I just got it to make me feel better. I will wait it out, but don't have a lot of confidence in it so far.
fayet

Return to Had It A While Ago