Help, not happy

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Help, not happy

Postby esimon » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:33 pm

Ok, so I had custom wavefront lasik back in 2006. I did not have a rediculious prescription -2.75 with astigmatism, never wore contacts. I now have glare/starburts day AND night pretty much anywhere light hits (not from dry eye, drops don't make them go away) I thought the wavefront lasik helped with the glare (?). If somebody sits in front of a window with sun behind them I can't see their face. At my last eye exam my eyes were 20/20 with no astigmatism. I do not have large pupils. I also have floaters that came out of nowhere within the last few months (not sure from what, I had them checked out). I am 28 years old. I am so worried about all of this, I'm not sure if my glare is normal (can't remember what glare was like before the lasik) or if I am just overreacting (how could I tell what normal glare is?) I really don't want to have my eyes messed with again (enhancement). Everyone I know who has had lasik has no problems and I'm just wondering if I am being to critical and the glare is normal or not much worse then normal.
Please help, I've been pretty depressed about all this
Thanks
esimon

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:25 pm

It is absolutely normal to not be able to see the front features of an object that is brightly lit from behind.

Floaters are natural too. They are tiny bits of the interior of the eye that break loose. They can be a sign of a larger problem, but it appears that you have already had this checked by your doctor.

Since you currently have 20/20 with no astigmatism, it is not at all likely that a doctor would recommend enhancement surgery. You could, however, have a wavefront diagnostic to see if your higher order aberrations are elevated and can affirm an optical problem causing your glare issues.

If you wore glasses with anti-reflective coating or sunglasses when you wore contacts, it is quite possible that you had these same issues before surgery but did not notice them because they were hidden by the coating or the sunglasses. Check with your eye doctor about your preoperative glasses.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby esimon » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:22 am

Thank you for replying so quickly

I hardly ever wore my glasses, to drive and at home only. I never wore contacts. I was just used to blurry vision.

What would be done if I had higher order aberrations?

I can deal with the glare but it is real annoying when I am driving, whenever light hits on other cars or anything shiny it makes a really big spot of light with lines coming off of it (starburst). I wear polarized sunglasses (it barely helps) and when I used to wear glasses to drive I never even wore prescription sunglasses, just my glasses.
esimon

Return to Had It A While Ago