Cataract Surgery Post Lasik

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Cataract Surgery Post Lasik

Postby rbechore » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:36 am

I'm a 42 y/o male. Type 2 Diabetic. I had Lasik surgery in Montreal, QC nearly 4 years ago. My last eye exam 6 months ago my vision was 20/20 left eye, 20/30 right eye, this after wearing glasses for 30 years. Unfortunatley I developed cataracts about 2 years ago due to the diabetes. My question is what would be the best lens choice for me being post lasik, I've been looking into the Restor or Crystalens, which do you think is better for post lasik so I can try to avoid wearing glasses. My second question is, if I go with the traditional lens for distance vision, what type of glasses will I have to wear, will the lenses for closeup be very thick and typically how far can you see clearly before you need to put glasses on for closeup for television, computer viewing. If there is another lens you can recommend please do.

Thanks
Rick
rbechore

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:39 pm

A detailed article about cataract surgery and intraocular lenses (IOL) can be found at Cataract Surgery IOL.

The primary issue regarding post-Lasik cataract surgery is measurement. To determine the best power of IOL to provide the best correction, it is necessary to measure the interior length of the eye (axial length). The pre-existing refractive error is then subtracted from the calculations. It is less challenging to make these calculations if the pre-Lasik refractive error is known. It would be very helpful if you happen to have your old eyeglass prescription.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago