microstriae - conflicting information

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

microstriae - conflicting information

Postby ManiG » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:29 pm

After complaining to my surgeon about my persistent vision problems (over 4 months post-LASIK), he mentioned that I have "mud crack" formations in my flap.

He wanted to wait a couple more months, hoping that the problem would resolve on its own, and also install punctual plugs to help with dryness (although, my eyes don't feel as dry as they did a couple months ago, and I no longer need drops).

I mentioned that my vision has not changed in 4 months, and I'm not convinced it's going to be getting any better in a couple months. I also told him how this is starting to take a serious psychological toll on me, and how I'd simply like to go one day without thinking about my vision.

So, he said he will do a procedure on my eyes that has proven successful for him in the past. He will be lifting my flap, stretching it, and placing it back with sutures. I asked if it matters that it's been such a long time with these symptoms, and he said that he's successfully done this procedure on patients a year post-LASIK.

My questions are:

- researching online about mud cracks/microstriae, sometimes I read that they resolve on their own, while other times I read that they become permanent with time. which is more true?
- if the suturing procedure does not resolve the microstriae, what would be my options?
- if the suturing procedure resolves the microstriae, but not the vision problems, what would be my options?

*sigh* this has been a rough ride. fingers crossed things will finally go my way. :(

Thanks,
Mani
ManiG

Postby ManiG » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:36 pm

I should also describe my vision problems:

- ghosting in both eyes, moderate in my left eye and strong in my right. the nature of the ghosting I believe is the cause of starbusts from car headlights.

- loss of contrast sensitivity in moderate light ... as if my brain is having trouble distinguishing objects and especially reading fine print

- generally sub-optimal vision ... i'm around 20/30 overall
ManiG

Re: microstriae - conflicting information

Postby davidmartinomalley » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:42 pm

Hi ManiG - if you are still subscribed to this post, can you tell us how things worked out with this?

Thanks,
davidmartinomalley

Postby bradj » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:48 pm

Hi my wife has similar symptoms did this calm down? I'm thinking of surgery myself but her experience has made me a little nervous.
bradj

Postby batista » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:23 pm

microstriae - conflicting information is very helpful to see here

thanks!!

ask a doctor
batista

Return to Had It A While Ago