Realistic - and Positive

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Realistic - and Positive

Postby lwilliams » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:33 pm

I thought some positive reinforcement may be what some people need to see on the forum. I think alot of the perception about the success of lasik is that everything will be "perfect". I had mine done 14 months ago, I was 7.75 in one eye and 7.50 in the other, I also had a rx for close up of 2.50. I went in to this procedure scared, it took me several years to get up enough nerve. I relied on my glasses the minute my foot hit the floor every morning, I couldn't see the alarm etc.
The procedure does hurt some - I was given one valium 45 minutes prior and I am not sure that 3 would've calmed me down. I left with the goggles on and could not see. I was scared and it burned somewhat. Most was fear of the unknown. I never saw these types of symptoms in anything I had read. By evening it had calmed down and I was surprised that I could actually see some things that I never could without glasses! It was far from clear. I also had some struggles with up close focusing, don't forget, I had bifocals. That was an adjustment. The doctor assured me that every day, every week and every month it would improve. It did.
After six months everything was pretty darn clear - you take for granted how bad it was before! Even my up close has improved to 1.5 and I can get by without anything if the light is bright.
I had the halos at night - for awhile - those are gone. I was fortunate never to have dry eyes.
I think my point is - most people will not go in and come out perfect - it does take time, there is some discomfort and adjustment. Is it better than the old coke bottle glasses - 10000% better. I can see the clock, I can swim and see! I would do it again in a heartbeat even though you may not say it is perfect - its close enough for me.
Keep all your follow up appointments and give it time. Do your research on the doctors in advance, and yes, be ready to cope if it is not all you thought it would be.
lwilliams

Return to Had It A While Ago