9 mnth post LASIK problems with depth perception fluctuation

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Postby sizzler » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:05 pm

I had LASIK to correct -4.25L/R with some astigmatism. The surgery went fine and everything was fantastic. After 3 months I got a "not quite right" feeling with my vision that went after a couple of weeks. Its hard to describe but its sort of like loosing a bit of spacial awareness/depth perception. As if your looking through someone else's eyes.

After 2 weeks this went and everything was perfect again until the 9 month mark (now) when its come back. I've been to see opticians and they say everyting from the surgery is fine and the eyes are healthy but have measured +0.25L/+0.5R. They have given me some VDU glasses and say the symptom could be eye strain which will go away with using the VDU glasses.

I've been off work so haven't used the VDU glasses yet but I'm just not sure this is the problem. Can the eye strain symptoms last 2 weeks? Also the "not quite right" tends to come and go but I haven't been near a VDU (except now!) for 3 days!

I might be jumping the gun but does anyone have any advise/experience of this? I'm really disapointed because I thought that at 9 months everyting was perfect and thats how the result would end...until these last 2 weeks.
sizzler

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:12 pm

You may be having accommodation/convergence issues. This is rare, but can happen when the optics are changed from Lasik.

If you are nearing age 40 it is even more likely that you are having accommodation issues. It could also be only in one eye, which could explain the depth perception issue. If one eye is plano (no refractive error) and the other eye is hyperipic (farsighted, longsighted), this can be enough to cause the "weird" feeling you get now and again. You may be dealing with fluctuating monovision.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby sizzler » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:26 pm

Thanks for the info. I am 33 years.

My opticion has prescribed +0.25L/+0.5R for VDU. The "not quite right" seems to come and go a few hours at a time throughout the day, and is not related as far as I can tell to what I'm doing (VDU or distance work).

Its only been these 2 cases (3 months post op for 2 weeks and now 9 months post op for 2 weeks). I'm concerned that most people seem to say all the "settling" of vision is done within 6 months. Can accomodation/convergence issues start this late after surgery and fluctuate like this?

I don't think its monovision as both eyes are slightly +ve although I don't know if the fact that my dominent right eye is the one that has a slightly higher prescription.

Great website by the way. Wish I'd found this before surgery as I might have decided its not worth the risk!
sizzler

Postby sizzler » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:28 pm

Thanks for the info. I am 33 years.

My opticion has prescribed +0.25L/+0.5R for VDU. The "not quite right" seems to come and go a few hours at a time throughout the day, and is not related as far as I can tell to what I'm doing (VDU or distance work).

Its only been these 2 cases (3 months post op for 2 weeks and now 9 months post op for 2 weeks). I'm concerned that most people seem to say all the "settling" of vision is done within 6 months. Can accomodation/convergence issues start this late after surgery and fluctuate like this?

I don't think its monovision as both eyes are slightly +ve although I don't know if the fact that my dominent right eye is the one that has a slightly higher prescription.

Great website by the way. Wish I'd found this before surgery as I might have decided its not worth the risk!
sizzler

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:31 pm

Thanks for the kind words on our website.

After years of being myopic, a little hyperopia can really screw with your eyes. Your eyes are now trying to "focus around" your myopia. They are probably pretty good at it by now, but every once in a while they may get tired of this extra work. That would be an accommodation issue.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

accommodation issues

Postby sizzler » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:39 pm

Thanks for the info:

Is there anything that can be done help deal with these accommodation issues?

Do they generally go away with time or is this likely to be with me for life?
sizzler

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:48 pm

The eyes and brain are very good at figuring out how to deal with problems like these. It is very likely that at some point the accommodation stress will subside. At or after age 40 when presbyopia sets in, you will have little to no accommodation.

You may want to ask your doctor for a cycloplegic refraction. That is the "which is better, one or two" exam with all accommodation paralyzed. This may indicate how much you are focusing around your hyperopia and if enhancement surgery to resolve the hyperopia may be appropriate.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago