2-1/2 years post-LASIK

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

2-1/2 years post-LASIK

Postby tootingbec » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:31 am

I had Custom Wavefront LASIK in November of 2006. Now, 2-1/2 years later, I'm still very satisfied. The only times I need glasses are for nighttime driving and for circumstances where I need fine vision at a distance: movies, plays, training classes.

The biggest complication of my LASIK was not in my eyes but between my ears. Before surgery, I thought that my post-LASIK vision would be as good as my pre-LASIK vision with glasses. I didn't grasp how unrealistic that expectation was until I had lived it. Nevertheless, it's great to go for days or weeks without ever putting glasses on.

I've experienced some regression in the last few months. Still, I am very disinclined to go in for an enhancement (even though it'd be free of charge). The post-operative dry eye was a nuisance I'm not eager to repeat. Beyond that, I am now 41, and I can definitely detect presbyopia starting. I would like to stave off the time when I need reading glasses, so I am totally fine with being a little nearsighted now.

Between my LASIK procedure and now, my son was born. It's amazing to think that I wore thick glasses for almost 35 years, and yet his mental picture of me will never include glasses.
tootingbec

Postby dan1966 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:59 pm

Your comments show how subjective one's reaction to Lasik treatment is. Needing glasses for nighttime driving, movies, plays, and training classes would be enough for me to not be happy with the results. I think you have a good attitude; mine has gotten better over the months. I guess it's human nature to accept whatever hand we're dealt at some point. If you don't, you experience unnecessary mental anguish. I had my Lasik surgery about a year and a month ago and I still haven't been able to completely move on with my life even though my vision isn't that bad in many ways. It's not optimum, though, and at times reading or staring at the computer can cause enough strain on my left eye that I feel pressure on the left side of my skull. It's quite unpleasant. At other times I don't feel this straining or pressure at all. My eyes are always drier than I'd like, but, on the bright side, I seldom experience any burning or discomfort. They're just dry, which can affect the clarity and stability of my vision.

Whatever the case, I'm glad you're happy with your results. That's really what it all comes down to in the end. Like you, I had high expectations when I had the surgery done, in large part because of all the promotional material I came across on the internet. Had my expectations been lower, I would have been less dissatisfied with my outcome.

Good luck in your future endeavors. With your positive mental attitude, I don't see how you can go wrong.
dan1966

Return to Had It A While Ago