Headache from Sunglasses 1 year after lasik to present

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Headache from Sunglasses 1 year after lasik to present

Postby wballant » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:54 pm

I had lasik almost 6 years ago, my vision is great, however about 1 year after the procedure I began getting intense headaches from sunglasses. I have tried everything from $8 sunglasses to $275 Maui Jim's and after wearing them for about 20 - 30 minutes I end up with a bad headache. Optomitrist has no idea why this would happen. Any ideas?
wballant

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:35 pm

My theory is that your pupils are dilating behind the sunglasses and this dilation is contributing to the headaches. Ask your optometrist if you can test your sunglasses after using Alphagan P. Alphagan P is a glaucoma eye drop medicine that has a side effect of causing the pupils to constrict. If you can wear sunglasses after Alphagan P with no problems, then we will have pinpointed the source of the problem. The cause of the problem would probably require additional testing and a convergence and accommodation expert, if my theory is correct.

Considering the one-year after Lasik before this symptom presented, it is not at all likely that your Lasik has a direct connection.

What is your age?
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby wballant » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:15 am

Thank you for your prompt reply, your theory is very interesting. I will mention this to my Optomotrist. I am 36 Years Old.
wballant

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:45 am

Your age is too young for presbyopia to likely be a contributing factor. You may actually be hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted) and your natural lens is trying to "focus around" your hyperopia. If your optometrist did a cycloplegic refraction (which is better, one or two, with your eyes dilated) then that can be compared to a manifest refraction (which is better, one or two, without eyes dilated) to indicate if this is an contributing issue.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Re: Headache from Sunglasses 1 year after lasik to present

Postby thomasmurray » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:37 pm

We have the same problem, however I was just relieved when they told me to use Alphagan P,. Some expert said that this mostly happen when you are not certain comfortable with sunglasses.
thomasmurray

Return to Had It A While Ago