Severe dryness pain during night

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Severe dryness pain during night

Postby sw33t_k4 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:17 pm

Hi,

I'm 24 years old and I had the PRK surgery 5 months ago. Everything went normally and now I have a vision of 20/15 for both eyes, which is perfect. I had myopia: -7 in both eyes. I'll explain my condition to you and would appreciate professional advices and to read other similar experiences.

The problem is that since the surgery, it happened to me several times (about two or three times a month) that I woke up during the night with severe pain and A LOT of tears in one eye (mostly the right one) because of dryness, or maybe because I slept on it?. The eye gets red and I cannot open it for a couple of minutes because of the pain and I cannot stand the lights. Sometimes the pain takes few hours to disappear.

My eye doctor didn't seem worried and suggested me to use Refresh Ultra every night. It didn't improve my condition. He said that my eyes look perfectly fine and that it's normal to experience dry eyes after surgery..

I'm still worried because this dryness problem doesn't seem normal to me.

I'm worried that this pain during the night is not good for my eyes and for the healing? Can it deteriorate? What are the repercussions?

What would you suggest? Do you think Genteal Gel would work for me? I think it contains preservatives, is it a big problem? Or would you suggest something else?

Thanks for your help and comments !!
sw33t_k4
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Severe dryness pain during night

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:37 pm

sw33t_k4 wrote:The problem is that since the surgery, it happened to me several times (about two or three times a month) that I woke up during the night with severe pain and A LOT of tears in one eye (mostly the right one) because of dryness, or maybe because I slept on it?. The eye gets red and I cannot open it for a couple of minutes because of the pain and I cannot stand the lights. Sometimes the pain takes few hours to disappear.


Is your vision affected when this event occurs?

sw33t_k4 wrote:My eye doctor didn't seem worried and suggested me to use Refresh Ultra every night. It didn't improve my condition.


Refresh Ultra (Allergan) is a lubricating eye drop that includes preservatives. Since it did not improve your condition, check with your doctor if you should use Refesh PM lubricating gel or similar gel product. This will provide a much longer lasting protection from dryness. Apply just before sleep as it will make your vision quality poor

sw33t_k4 wrote:He said that my eyes look perfectly fine and that it's normal to experience dry eyes after surgery.


Dry eyes after surgery is normal, but you are five months postop. These kinds of problems should have dissipated and any problem like this needs proper treatment.

sw33t_k4 wrote:I'm worried that this pain during the night is not good for my eyes and for the healing? Can it deteriorate? What are the repercussions?


It is likely that the dryness at night causes the eye lid to "stick" to the outermost layer of the cornea, called the epithelium. In the morning when you open your eyes you tear some of these cells away from the cornea. Damage to the epithelium commonly results in significant pain and light sensitivity. The corneal epithelial cells are the fastest reproducing cells in the human body, but constant severe damage is not good. Fortunately the epithelium reproduces quickly and it is not at all likely that you will cause long-term damage to the underlying layers of the cornea.

sw33t_k4 wrote: Do you think Genteal Gel would work for me? I think it contains preservatives, is it a big problem?


The gel types of lubricants do not normally cause problems.

Although a gel will get you through the night, the underlying cause of the nighttime dry eye needs to be diagnosed and treated. It is possible that you sleep with your eyes slightly open. This obviously will cause tears to evaporate. Since this does not occur every night, there may be an environmental condition that is contributing, such as a heat/cooling vent pointed toward you, particular food, particular beverage, even restlessness. The gel treats the symptom, you need to find the cause.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3309
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 6:43 am
Location: California

Re: Severe dryness pain during night

Postby catnmus » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:36 pm

This happens to me, too. I'm curious- you mention sleeping with eyes slightly open. I know that I do that. What would be the "fix" for that underlying cause? and why was this not a problem before my epi-Lasik but is a problem now?
catnmus
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:45 pm


Return to Had It A While Ago

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron