rk over 20 years ago

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

rk over 20 years ago

Postby pat masek » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:27 am

I had rk surgery when it first became popular 20+ years ago and have had vision problems for about the last 15 years. I can't really see near or far without glasses, and my vision fluctuates from morning to night. I have a hard time reading when I first get up in the morning, and if I read for more than a half an hour in the evening, my vision becomes very blurry. Is there anything I can do to help correct my vision problems now? I can't function without glasses. If I could go back, I never would have had the rk done. I was able only to go without glasses for about 5 years.
pat masek

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:09 am

Let me guess; you are in your late 40s or early 50s.

What you describe has occurred with many former Radial Keratotomy (RK) patients. This often includes starbursting around light sources at night, fluctuation in vision throughout the day, different refractive error from morning to night, and/or a shift toward hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted) vision. After about age 40, presbyopia starts to limit the ability to change focus from distant objects to near objects, requiring reading glasses or bifocals. The combination of hyperopia and presbyopia often provides poor vision quality at all distances.

It is probably possible for you to have laser eye surgery after RK to reduce refractive error such as hyperopia, but the fluctuation would not be helped by surgery and can actually be made worse.

My recommendation is to investigate Rigid Gas Permeable (RGP) contact lenses. RGPs can provide good support of the cornea to reduce fluctuation, correct refractive error, and even reduce starbursting. New materials make them relatively comfortable.

What RGPs will not do is give you the ability to change focus from distance to near. Thus far, no surgical technique reliably and predictably corrects presbyopia. You will need reading glasses or as a possible workaround you could try monovision.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago