DRY EYE FOREVER??

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

DRY EYE FOREVER??

Postby Eye see » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:25 pm

I been havin dry eye ever since surgery...even days before surgery! I thougth this problem was temporary...why is it still ongoing?
And it usually only occurs when I wake up every morning...and it HURTS to move my eyeball while in that dry state...until I save myself by using artificial tears...which is why I HAVE TO always keep it on hand, and its a pain.

And is there a way to permanently resolve it without having to buy box after box after box of artificial tears?

It appears to me that when I take flax seed oil, it remedies it for the period that the bottle is not empty. After it empties, the dry eye comes back.
Eye see

Re: DRY EYE FOREVER??

Postby DocH » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:42 pm

When was your surgery?
Mine was in June '09 and my eyes were dry until about a month ago.
Try Lacrilube ointment at night not drops and Genteal gel during the day.
DocH

Postby Eye see » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:11 am

Last edited by Eye see on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eye see

Postby Eye see » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:01 am

Last edited by Eye see on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eye see

Postby Eye see » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:55 pm

Eye see

Can my DRY EYE finally be cured?

Postby Eye see » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:41 pm

DocH wrote:When was your surgery?
Mine was in June '09 and my eyes were dry until about a month ago.
Try Lacrilube ointment at night not drops and Genteal gel during the day.

My surgery was June 08...and I've had dry eye every morning since then! And I already tried the bedtime ointments & artificial tears (the problem is I have to keep buying them in order to use them EVERY morning I wake!).....AND I've taken flax seed oil & fish oil in capulet form, everyday....

The problem, again, lies in: WHEN DOES IT END?!?

My question is:

1> Will this be a permanent condition? When will it go away?? Is this dry eye of mine curable??

2> What can I do, or who do I see about this problem to get it fixed?
(Cuz I can't go back to the lasik office that did my surgery...they said their business with me is over.)
Eye see

Postby dan1966 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:49 pm

I've been taking Restasis for my dry eyes for almost three months now and haven't noticed any difference. If there is a difference, it's so slight as to be negligible. Ah, aint life grand. Restasis costs a bundle, btw.
dan1966

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:11 pm

The manufacturer states that Restasis does not reach full effectiveness unit after about 90 days of continued use. Restasis is an anti-inflammatory. Inflammation around the tiny channels that carry the fluids that comprise tears can restrict flow. Restasis can increase fluid flow by reducing the inflammation. Restasis will only be a viable treatment if the dry eye is caused by channels restricted by inflammation.

"Dry eye" does not necessarily mean the eyes are dry. It is necessary to determine if the quantity of the tears is adequate and if the quality of the tear is appropriate to keep the eyes moist. It is possible that both quantity and quality are okay, but the patient feels dry eye symptoms. This can occur if the nerves that provide this feeling are disrupted during Lasik. Dry eye treatment will only be viable if the symptoms are actually caused by a fluid deficiency.

It is more common to experience dry eye toward the end of the day after the eyes have been exposed for many hours. Dry eyes only in the morning may indicate that the eye lids are not fully closed during sleep. Some individuals with this problem have taken to wearing small swimming goggles that fit tightly around each eye socket. This traps moisture and keeps out the dry air. A humidifier in the room may also provide relief.

Remember that air conditioning is a dehumidifier and a humidifier may be necessary just to bring the environment to normal.

Be certain that you use only artificial tears that are 100% preservative-free. The preservatives in artificial tears are a mild toxin that is normally benign, but extended and frequent use can cause the very irritation you are trying to avoid.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby dan1966 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:27 pm

I've been taking Restasis for about 3 1/2 months now and have concluded that my dry eye is not caused by inflammation of those channels that you mentioned. My dry eyes have some other cause. If they didn't, the Restasis would have been more effective than it has been.
dan1966

Postby strman » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:00 pm

It seems to me that Dry Eye is an excuse that the industry uses after lasik has destroyed the function of your eyes. In the past 41/2 years, I have tried every eye drop and goop known to man. Most of them can make my eyes feel better for about 20 minutes before they start burning and itching again. Restasis is a complete waste of money. Similasans even works better. NONE of these drops ever makes me see better so how can my double vision be caused by dry eye?
I have seen three different eye doctors and I always leave the office thinking I have wasted even more money. They don't seem to have a clue about how to remedy the damage caused by lasik.
strman

Return to Had It A While Ago