ten yrs with 20-15 but right eye losing sharp focus

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

ten yrs with 20-15 but right eye losing sharp focus

Postby Dick.Ovens » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:20 pm

I have had very sharp 20-15 vision for last ten years since lasik surgery. I notice my non dominant right eye is losing sharp focus on distant signs. I am a 64 years old male and play golf very often and love sharp distance vision. I moved several states away from my surgeon so cannot return to his practice for an assessment. I think my right eye is now about 20-30.

Prior to lasik I had always had astigmatism in both eyes plus myopia. Is my right eye possibly becoming slightly astigmatic again causing the current loss of sharpness of focus in distance. Can I have my right eye reshaped or corrected at my age?

My close reading vision since surgury actually has improved too especially in good lighting. I sometimes use mild 1.5 reading glasses for added comfort if lighting is dim.

My night vision has alway had slight double view of dimmly lit objects like the moon. But lights and even stars appear sharply defined. On seeing the moon each eye sees a dimmer second moon (not fully concentric) slightly lower and slightly to the left or 7 O'clock position in left eye; and in 4 O'clock position in right eye. It appears as if I took two coins stacked atop each other and slid one coin down and to one side 1/8 inch. I have large pupil openings and this effect really has not been a problem.
Dick.Ovens

Re: ten yrs with 20-15 but right eye losing sharp focus

Postby PRKorIntacs » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:24 am

It's possible you have slightly regressed in one eye. You now have monovision and this has improved your near vison. Your distance vision remains sharp in your dormant eye. I am going for a small -1d undercorrection myself if I get PRK to preserve some of my near vision.
PRKorIntacs

Postby bradj » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:50 pm

From what I've read this is a common problem and is to be expected after that length of time. As long as your eye is healthy generally corrective surgery will be simple.
bradj

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:32 pm

Dick.Ovens wrote:I have had very sharp 20-15 vision for last ten years since lasik surgery. I notice my non dominant right eye is losing sharp focus on distant signs. I am a 64 years old male and play golf very often and love sharp distance vision. I moved several states away from my surgeon so cannot return to his practice for an assessment. I think my right eye is now about 20-30.

This sounds much like a symptom of cataract formation.

Dick.Ovens wrote:Prior to lasik I had always had astigmatism in both eyes plus myopia. Is my right eye possibly becoming slightly astigmatic again causing the current loss of sharpness of focus in distance. Can I have my right eye reshaped or corrected at my age?

Both becoming more astigmatic and having the astigmatism removed with enhancement Lasik surgery are likely possible.

Dick.Ovens wrote:My close reading vision since surgury actually has improved too especially in good lighting.

This indicates a shift toward myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision. It could be regression of the Lasik effect, which is not very likely after all these years, natural change that would have occurred with our without Lasik, or a common symptom of cataract formation.

Dick.Ovens wrote:My night vision has alway had slight double view of dimmly lit objects like the moon. But lights and even stars appear sharply defined. On seeing the moon each eye sees a dimmer second moon (not fully concentric) slightly lower and slightly to the left or 7 O'clock position in left eye; and in 4 O'clock position in right eye. It appears as if I took two coins stacked atop each other and slid one coin down and to one side 1/8 inch. I have large pupil openings and this effect really has not been a problem.

These are classic symptoms of astigmatism.

You should see a local eye doctor for an exam - and please report back to us what the doctor finds.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago