Eye Tracker Inoperative - Subsequent Issues

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Eye Tracker Inoperative - Subsequent Issues

Postby wossname » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:10 am

Greetings

I had my first treatment about 18 months ago. The eye tracker wouldn't work on me and after several sittings they said it wasn't really needed. It appears my myopia was corrected ok, but I was left with worsened astigmatism in both eyes. I had a second procedure that left my eyes unbalanced. I have recently (2 months ago) had a third procedure on my right eye only, and this has left me with pretty good distance vision in my right eye but considerably worsened reading/computer distance vision. My left eye is quite good close up, but a bit unclear from a few yards onwards.

The manufacturers of the lasik equipment used suggested that this kind of outcome is "not unusual".

What do you fine folks think?

Regards,
Neil
wossname

Re: Eye Tracker Inoperative - Subsequent Issues

Postby wossname » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi

Sorry to bump this but I'd really appreciate someone's thoughts.

Regards,
Neil
wossname

Postby phantom1584 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:42 pm

There's not much data to go off of here. What machine type was used? What was your perscription prior?

Just my two cents, but if they tell me the tracker isn't working, I'm out of there.
phantom1584

Postby wossname » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:44 pm

The equipment was made by Abbott (AMO). I'll dig out my numbers and post them later but they weren't spectacularly bad. My question is really aimed at someone in the trade as the clinic is telling me that it's ok, but AMO are being a bit non-committal. They admit that the tracker didn't work and sent a field engineer out to test it, but he said no problem, go ahead.
wossname

Postby wossname » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:05 am

Bump - are there no doctors on here who can advise?
wossname

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:45 am

wossname wrote:The eye tracker wouldn't work on me and after several sittings they said it wasn't really needed.

Hmmm. Not really needed but would have been used if it was available? It is true that the outcome may have been the same with or without the tracker, but this seems to be a disengenous response to the inability to track.

wossname wrote:It appears my myopia was corrected ok, but I was left with worsened astigmatism in both eyes.

That may or may not have had anything to do with the tracking. A detailed analysis could possibly indicate tracking would have helped, but likely you will never know if it really was needed or this would have been the result with or without.

wossname wrote:I had a second procedure that left my eyes unbalanced.

Please explain "unbalanced" as you use the term. Was one eye hyperopic (farsighted/longsighted) and the other myopic (nearsighted/shortsighted)? Were they both myopic, but to different amounts?

wossname wrote:I have recently (2 months ago) had a third procedure on my right eye only, and this has left me with pretty good distance vision in my right eye but considerably worsened reading/computer distance vision.

If possible, please provide your current eyeglass prescription.

wossname wrote:My left eye is quite good close up, but a bit unclear from a few yards onwards.

That is the classic symptom of myopia. Can't see good far away, see well close up.

wossname wrote:The manufacturers of the lasik equipment used suggested that this kind of outcome is "not unusual".

This is a known undesired outcome, but it is not exactly "not unusual".

wossname wrote:What do you fine folks think?

Astigmatism is generally challenging to correct (See Lasik astigmatism). It may be that your result is because of difficult astigmatism. It may be that the tracker was more important than originally thought. The tracker systems sometimes cannot get a good read on the eye and it is necessary to go without. For many people, this makes no difference. Did they use the tracker on the retreatment?
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby wossname » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:56 pm

Hello Greg, thanks for the reply.

Here are the pre-post numbers of my first procedure.
Naked eyes vision Myopia Astigmatism
R: 0.1 (200/20) S: -3.00 C: -0.75
L: 0.15(125 /20) S: -3.00 C: -1.00

04.03.2009 I-LASIK

05.03.2009 1 day post-OP eye check

R: 1.2(15/20) S: -0.25 C: -1.25
L: 1.2(15/20) S: -0.50 C: -1.25

11.03.2009 1 week post-OP eye exam

R: 1.0 (20/20) S: -0.50 C: -1.25
L: 0.8 (20/25) S: -0.50 C: -1.50

17.05.2009 1 day post-Re-OP eye exam

R: 1.5 (20/12.5) S: +0.00 C: -0.25
L: 1.5 (20/12.5) S: +0.00 C: -0.25

The funny thing about these numbers is that although they look ok, I was aware that my eyesight remained unbalanced. The measuring machines on this occasion were not operated by one of the clinicians, but by the lady who translates for me (I'm in Tokyo BTW), so I remain suspicious about the authenticity of the numbers. I have been unable to access the pre-post 3rd-op numbers yet, but the situation now is that my right eye is now much worse at reading/computer monitor distance, but quite good at distance. My left eye is good close up but not so good at distance. When I read a book, I am aware of the fuzzyness in my right eye and it's extremely annoying and I do get headaches that were not present before. Likewise, but to a lesser extent, when I view things at distance I am also aware of an imbalance. They have told me that I have a dominant right eye, and that my brain will eventually cope with the differences, though at 3 months post-3rd op, this shows no signs of coming to pass.

The tracker was working for the second/third procedures, though I don't know if it was optimal or sub-optimal, or if it makes a difference.

Thanks for your time so far, if there's anything else you need to know, please let me know.

Regards,
Neil
wossname

Postby wossname » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:33 am

Bump - sorry.
wossname

Return to Had It A While Ago