debris after surgery

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

debris after surgery

Postby campclamp » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:43 am

what is debris? have it in one eye,dr.says not to worry,what do you think?
campclamp

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:03 am

Debris would be any foreign object under the Lasik flap. Debris is a concern if it interferes with vision quality or is detrimental to the health of the cornea. You know if your vision quality is good. It appears your doctor has examined your eyes and determined there is no current problem with the health of your cornea. If the debris is problematic, the flap can be lifted, the treatment area flushed, and the flap repositioned.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Re: debris after surgery

Postby crawfordma » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:18 pm

I have a strand of sterile gauze under my flap. The Dr tried to remove it immediately post surgery but my eyes are very small and it was very uncomfortable for me (so he didn't have enough room to work at it). He said he could put me back in room and put the clamp back on to remove it, but he didn't think it would be a problem since it is sterile and at the far edge of my eye.

I went back for my 2 day check up and the optometrist explained my body would not kick it out or absorb it, but it would eventually calcify.

I feel uncomfortable knowing it's there, and would really prefer he numb me back up and remove it while the flap is still fresh. Is this taking on too much risk to be worthwhile? Is it fairly simple to go in and remove? What do you think?
crawfordma

Re: debris after surgery

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:03 am

Even if it never caused you problems, it is reasonable to ask the surgeon to lift the flap, flush the area, float the flap back down, and let you heal without this concern nagging in the back of your mind. The sooner the better.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago