RLE, YAG, PRK, frustrated!

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

RLE, YAG, PRK, frustrated!

Postby Mercy » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:57 pm

I had refractive lensectomy almost three years ago. For me, I was wanting lasik surgery but because of my age (57 at the time) I was advised to do the RLE. Let me say right now that I am one of those people who research thoroughly any and every thing before I make a decision. I go to the doctor's office, index card in hand, with questions. Feeling as though I was 'informed' I made the choice to proceed. Initially I was happy because I was able to see better than I had for years. Before surgery I had to wear strong prescription glasses or contacts, had astigmatism...the whole nine yards. Within 3 months, my right eye began to produce a "smudged" vision. I was told this is 'common' as scar tissue forms where lens was replaced. A simple procedure known as "YAG" is performed and "walla", clarity of vision is restored. I had the "YAG" and sure enough my vision was restored to what it was after surgery with one additional glitch that I read nothing about and was told nothing about...floaters! I have never had floaters in my life before the YAG. My doctor told me that these were also common and should/would disappear after a few weeks. Three years later, I still have them! Dealing with it. Six months ago the left eye began to take on this "smudged" vision and I also had to have the YAG done to it. Yep, more floaters and vision did not imporve much at all. I'm growing frustrated at this point and having to wear glasses again, not only for close reading but now to view TV and recognise facial detail, shelf content of people/things when shopping. When I speak to my doctor he advises having the PRK procedure as it would correct my astigmatism whereas the RLE does not do that. He also said it would allow more light back to retina and provide better vision. Cornea's were too thin for cutting, thus the PRK. Let me add here that my local optometrist is the best in the area and the surgical center I go to is also highly reputable. The surgeon himself is renowned for being a "Doctor's doctor".
Again, after much research and asking of questions I go into this next venture with high and hopeful expectations. We only did the left eye at this time. I am now 5.5 weeks post op. I have obeyed the restrictions, using all the meds and Refresh drops. Vision is still blurry at times and the double/ghosting vision is driving me nuts. I was told about the "fuzzy" vision, to quote my doctor. But nothing was ever said about "double" vision. I asked about this and the approximate duration of this issue from both my eye doctor and the surgical center. The mention of glasses, enhancements and astigmatism came into the conversation. Well....Aren't those the very reasons why I had this surgery???? As if this isn't bad enough I have also contracted an infection of sorts. See, the FML Forte serves the purpose of slowing down the healing to prevent the formation of scar tissue. But at the same time it interferes with the eye's immunity and somehow this eye contracted an infection. This is almost cleared up now. It interfered with my vision for a few days but now my vision is back to where it was before the infection, clear at times but with the double vision. Here's the summary, lol. I have double vision, semi-blurred, with floaters in both eyes.
I am looking for words of encouragement maybe? I am frustrated and feeling like I have asked all the right questions. I feel like a guinea pig in a way with one procedure after another being suggested. I wonder why, as evident in these forums, so many people have complications when after all these years lasik surgeries should be more perfected. Can anyone provide answers, reasoning or encouragement?
All responses are appreciated!
Mercy

Re: RLE, YAG, PRK, frustrated!

Postby Mercy » Sat May 07, 2011 4:06 pm

Is this forum still active? I don't see a lot of responces. Maybe it's just my personal posts...?
Mercy

Return to Had It A While Ago