Cataracts, Glaucoma and Prior Lasik Treatment

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Cataracts, Glaucoma and Prior Lasik Treatment

Postby gewcolo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi Everyone,
I notice no one has actually been answering anyone's posts lately, but I hope someone, hopefully an expert, or someone who has been through my situation, will give me a heads up.

I had Lasik Surgery in 1998, but due to my lifestyle I have no record of who did the surgery, or anything about it. All records are probably destroyed by now anyway. Still, I was recently diagnosed with Glaucoma, and a rapidly worsening cataract in my left eye. My ophthamologist is referring me to someone else because he feels he is not competent to operate on eyes that have previously been Lasiked. The new eye surgeon wants all my records from before the Lasik surgery, but I have no idea how to get them. He says they are very important, that he must know what my eyes were like before the Lasik.

My question: How important are my old records, and what happens if I cannot get them? Am I risking my eyesight to let a surgeon operate on my eye without knowing all the particulars he should know?

Hoping to hear from someone soon,

gewcolo
gewcolo

Return to Had It A While Ago