bound for enhancement (?) - the time has come

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

bound for enhancement (?) - the time has come

Postby astonia » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:25 pm

Hi everyone, here I'm back. As I expected (see: the section "Just Had It"), the time has now come to really consider enhancement.
It's been a bit more than 4 months since I had Lasik. I had an appointment with my eye surgeon today. Initially both of us hoped we would be able to do the enhancement at the beginning of March, but things got complicated. Here are my findings.

My left eye is really good. An optical refractometer shows -0,25 dioptre (after Tropicamid drops), no astigmatism, which is confirmed by what I feel I see and how I see my left eye works. It's better than it was in my contacts before the op :)

The right eye is tricky :( From the very beginning I felt "it could be better". I know that Lasik salute is not an option, but still I noticed there was something around -1 in it. As we went through reading the Snellen chart it was obvious that I'm right. Everything got complicated when the refractometer (after Tropicamid) showed 0,00 (!!!). My eye surgeon said that I'm an example of "accomodative myopia". With that in mind and my eye still recovering after October's Lasik she told me that the enhancement in March is not possible. Another refractometer I was examined on revealed a refractive errof of +0,25. I was told that enhancement in this case is not possible as my right eye behaves in a specific way and is highly accomodative. The surgeon doesn't know for sure what sort of a refractive error should a laser be programmed for. She told me that by setting the machine for -0,75 dioptre I could turn out to be overcorrected, no guarantee whatsoever that this is right. I could have the enhancement in March but only if I renounce any claims and will not hold her responsible for the outcome of the sugery.
She presented further disadvantages:
- my cornea is 436 microns in the thinnest place, which is pretty thin at the moment, and reducing it by another 15 or 17 microns would leave me in a dangerous position should any problems withe eye pressure occur in the future (eye pressure now 14 and 15; before Lasik 18 and 16)
- the flap lifting could end up with "flap astigmatism", epithelial ingrowth and greater scars on the cornea
As advanatages of leaving it as it is now she pointed out presybiopia (in 10 years' time for me) and the fact that I will not have to wear reading glasses too early.
Her advice is to wait and observe. She offered enhancement in one, two years' time.
What do you think???
astonia

Re: bound for enhancement (?) - the time has come

Postby croanster » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:25 pm

Ask to have a cycloplegic refraction. This will rule out accommodation issues.
croanster

Re: bound for enhancement (?) - the time has come

Postby astonia » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:48 pm

croanster wrote:Ask to have a cycloplegic refraction

I was given Tropicamid drops three times. Cycloplegics include atropine, homatropine, cyclopentolate and tropicamide.
My right eye accomodated to 0,00/+0,25 after these drops...
astonia

Return to Had It A While Ago