Custom vs Conventional

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Custom vs Conventional

Postby DryEye » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:37 pm

In both instances, are the quality of the pictures taken the most important part for one's end result? In other words, if one ends up with some slight astigmatism and slight undercorrection from a custom procedure could it be the result of not perfect preop pictures and that the machine only did what it had in terms of pictures? I ask because I just remembered during another pre-lasik consult an assistant took some of the pictures over due to the fact the doctor was a stictler for pictures. Are these pcitures they take done with an Orbscan? I have had them done during my post visits - Are these the same pics that are taken before lasik is done? What is an Orbscan and what kind of technololgy does it use?
Also, what is considered a good outcome from lasik procedures? Near 0 correction without complications? It obviously has to do with patient satisfaction, but is there also some sort of rule of thumb?
Thanks
DryEye

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:02 am

Since Lasik is microsurgery on biological tissue, it is my opinion that minor imperfections in outcomes are more likely because of the nature of the surgery than because of any "mistake".

Orbscans are not used to plan the laser ablation pattern for Lasik. They are used as an analytical tool to determine if a patient is a candidate, including diagnosis of potential corneal disease and determination of corneal thickness.

What is a good outcome is a surprisingly dynamic target. 90% Snellen 20/20 or better is a considered a good outcome in a clinical trial, but not for that 10% who didn't achieve 20/20. 3% with unresolved complications at six months postop and 0.5% being serious complications may be considered safe by medical standards, but that is small consolation to the 3% (or worse, the 0.5%) who have complications.

Probably the most dynamic part of what is a good outcome is what the patient expects. Someone who expects that without glasses they will suddenly be popular, will write the Great American Novel, or their mother-in-law will like them are very likely going to have a "bad" result.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

A new topic- with uncharted implications

Postby mike r » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:30 am

"Post traumatic popularity disorder"
and thought I might get asked on - Deal No Deal or be a Grease contestant....

A new issue not previously addressed...

Maybe Im feeling some of these symptoms myself.

Thanks <mike r>
mike r

Re: A new topic- with uncharted implications

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:38 am

mike r wrote:"Post traumatic popularity disorder"

LOL. Very good Mike. I'm stealing that one.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DryEye » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:59 am

I certainly hope someone wouldn't do lasik for the sake of popularity. Talk about a bad candidate. True on patient outcome expectation, but if they saw better in contacts or glasses then i think almost everyone in that predicament would not be happy campers.
DryEye

Return to Had It A While Ago