Constant pressure around the eye socket

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Constant pressure around the eye socket

Postby russell » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:03 am

I had lasik surgery 5 months ago to correct myopia (-3.25 in both eyes). Right after surgery my right eye had a mild corneal edema (as described by the doctor) with constant pain inside the eye. After 3 months the edema stopped hurting but I started feeling the pressure around my right eye. The doctor explained that it was caused by a slight difference between the two eyes, the left being under corrected and the right overcorrected. He said that the eye was trying to compensate for the difference. He never said how much was the difference but it would have changed more in time so there was no reason to worry, just wait. At the last appointment a few days ago he said that the difference between the eyes is so minimal that doesn’t justify the pain that I still have around the eye socket and he is sending me to a Neuro Ophthalmologist for more exams. He thinks it may be an inflammation at the optic nerve but didn’t talk about nerve damage or anything else.
Other problems that I’m experiencing in the right eye are dryness, difficulty in moving the focus from thing or when reading, light sensitivity.
Have you ever heard about anybody else with the same symptoms?
russell

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:28 am

It seems that your doctor is on the right track by referring you to a neuro-ophthalmologist for evaluation. Either this will determine the cause of your difficulty or eliminate an entire range of possibilities from consideration.

On ocassion patients describe discomfort as "pressure" around the eye. It is doubtful that there is actual pressure on the eye, this may be the most accurate description of the discomfort. Dry eye and eye focus strain can definately contribute to this kind of discomfort.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby russell » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:51 pm

Thank you very much for your answer, I’ve read the article about eye strain and focus and I think it is strongly related to what I have. I experience headaches, nausea and dizziness especially in the evening after straining and trying to accommodate my vision all day. I’ll let you know the results of my exams with the neuro ophthalmologist next week.
russell

Postby russell » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:47 pm

Dear Glenn,

I just got back from the neuro-ophthalmologist and with big relief I don’t have problems at my optic nerve. The doctor thinks that there is no relation between the Lasik surgery I had 5 months ago and the pressure around the eye. He believes the pain has been triggered by a bundle of muscles and nerves at the back of my head and he prescribed me a muscle relaxant medicine and an anti-inflammatory. If the pain doesn’t stop he will give me an injection of steroids in site and see the results.

I feel somehow relieved but still very surprised that all of this pain that came after my surgery is not related to it.
The quality of my vision remains a little blurry, my last refraction was +0.25 for my left eye and +0.50 for the right (the one that is giving me pain and pressure).

Do you think there are still chances that this refraction will improve after 5 months?

I realize by reading many messages on this forum that in a few years (I’m 37 now) my hyperopia will contribute to make my vision worst and I’m a little concerned about that. On the other side I’m ruling out the possibility to have an enhancement to correct it because of risks and poor results. What is you opinion about that?

Thank you very much for all of your help in this forum, it has been great to find it!
russell

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:01 am

Even though stressed nerves/muscles is not exactly good news, it is good news that it does not relate to your optic nerve.

It is often easy to point to a major event as the source of a future difficulty simply because the major event is...well...major. It is the first thing to come to mind.

russell wrote:The quality of my vision remains a little blurry, my last refraction was +0.25 for my left eye and +0.50 for the right (the one that is giving me pain and pressure).

Do you think there are still chances that this refraction will improve after 5 months?

If you were very myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) before surgery - such as more than 8.00 diopters - then there may be a possibility of regression. Otherwise it is not likely. Certainly possible, but not likely.

russell wrote:I realize by reading many messages on this forum that in a few years (I’m 37 now) my hyperopia will contribute to make my vision worst and I’m a little concerned about that. On the other side I’m ruling out the possibility to have an enhancement to correct it because of risks and poor results. What is you opinion about that?

Wait until presbyopia becomes a real problem and then explore your options. The options available, your refractive error, and your motivation to have (or not have) surgery may change dramatically by that time.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Re: Constant pressure around the eye socket

Postby jaynec » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:22 pm

Dear Russell

I have a friend who has had a very similar experience to yours post LASIK, and is three months into it.

If you have time please could you post an update on your experience with the muscle relaxant medicine and an anti-inflammatory you were prescribed? And details if possible.

Many thanks.
jaynec

Return to Had It A While Ago