different laser for enhancement

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

different laser for enhancement

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:04 am

1. Since I have already had previous laser surgery. Lasik. Is it ok to have surgery again with the allegretto wave light. I read somewhere, Allegretto is only approved for someone who has not had previous surgery ?

2. How long should I have to wait between surgerys if enhansements are needed ?
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:07 am

No laser is specifically FDA approved for secondary surgery, often called an enhancement. Enhancements are an appropriate off-label use of the laser, including the Allegretto.

Off-label use is a term used for procedures that are legal, but are not specifically approved for a particular device or drug. The procedure comes under the definition of the practice of medicine (also called scope of practice), so the FDA does not necessarily need to approve the use of the medical device specifically for Lasik enhancement. If a medical doctor determines the use of an FDA approved tool is appropriate, then it is okay with the FDA under scope of practice rules.

You want to wait until your eyes have fully stabilized before having enhancement surgery. Normally this is at about three months after the initial surgery.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago