dry again :(

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Postby texaseyes » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:20 pm

Had my 2 1/2 month O.D. appt. today. He stained my eyes and said I had dry spots all over so that's what's causing my burning pain. It's so frustrating because about a month ago I thought I was improving, and now they hurt so bad. We're taking our kids to Disneyland in a few weeks and instead of looking forward to it I'm dreading being on the dry, dry plane and fearing what being outdoors will do to me. I can barely make it through a day at home.

I am doing flax seed oil, fish oil, Biotears, Restasis, warm compresses and drops every two hours (or more if I can't stand it). I find that Refresh Dry Eye Therapy (same as Endura only in a bottle) is what feels the best to me, at least right now. The rice sock compress with 40 seconds in the microwave really feels good, but unfortunately that too is temporary.

Personally, I am not ready to adopt the attitude that I'm just going to live with this. I want to have some hope that it will improve with time. It's so hard when you have a setback to think you're improving, though.

I pray about this and will keep all of you in my prayers as well.
texaseyes

Postby texaseyes » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:21 pm

Had my 2 1/2 month O.D. appt. today. He stained my eyes and said I had dry spots all over so that's what's causing my burning pain. It's so frustrating because about a month ago I thought I was improving, and now they hurt so bad. We're taking our kids to Disneyland in a few weeks and instead of looking forward to it I'm dreading being on the dry, dry plane and fearing what being outdoors will do to me. I can barely make it through a day at home.

I am doing flax seed oil, fish oil, Biotears, Restasis, warm compresses and drops every two hours (or more if I can't stand it). I find that Refresh Dry Eye Therapy (same as Endura only in a bottle) is what feels the best to me, at least right now. The rice sock compress with 40 seconds in the microwave really feels good, but unfortunately that too is temporary.

Personally, I am not ready to adopt the attitude that I'm just going to live with this. I want to have some hope that it will improve with time. It's so hard when you have a setback to think you're improving, though.

I pray about this and will keep all of you in my prayers as well.
texaseyes

Postby Betty39 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:09 am

Texaseyes,
Definitely at 2 1/2 months you will improve. I have improved BIG TIME since then. Like I said in my prior post, I tend to forget how bad I was in the beginning and then my husband reminds me how far I have come. I didn't mean to imply you should give up hope. I just meant half the battle for me has been struggling with the question is the burning ever going to go away totally. At 6 months I am sick of it already! So I am adopting the idea that if it never goes away totally then I am determined not to let it ruin my otherwise happy life. That kind of takes the anxiety away a bit for me. Hopefully we will all get back to feeling good once again.
But absolutely, never give up hope. And definitely you will feel better at 6 months then you do now.
Betty39

Dry Eyes

Postby richbron » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:47 am

I wish my dry eyes was just simply burning/stinging. I am almost 18 months post op and my vision still fluctuates to such a degree that an hour after waking up I struggle to read a computer, distance vision is near impossible. My vision fluctuates so tremendously that glasses and contacts are out of the question - unless of course I had 3 pairs and used them interchangeably (morning, afternoon and evening). Of course contacts do not fit (nor do they work!!!!!!!!!)

I have spent more in the last year visiting countless "experts" than I did on the intial surgery. All the doctors say is I have "mild to moderate" dry eye, but this should not have the effect on my vision that I decribe.

My life has really changed since the op and have serious regrets about doing - I chose the best surgeon. My advice to anyone thinking of doing thi is THINK AGAIN.
richbron

Postby Betty39 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:17 am

Richbron,
Sorry to hear of your difficulties. I assume you have tried all the usual remedies and Restasis? Did you have dry eye issues prior to your surgery? It's so easy to think only 3% of patients have long term side effects, it won't happen to me. But if it does it 100% sucks. Have you gone on Dryeye Zone? There is support there for coping with and managing your dry eyes. I found it helpful.
~Betty
Betty39

Postby texaseyes » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:18 pm

Hi Richbron,

Is your vision good at any point in time, like when you first wake up? I have fluctuations in my drier eye, but it actually improves from when I first wake up when it's the blurriest. I know it sounds wierd, but a sock filled with about half a cup of rice and microwaved for 40 seconds and used for about 5 or 10 minutes as a compress sometimes helps my vision. I think it stimulates a few tears or perhaps reduces inflamation a little. It's temporary, but maybe it could give you more insight on your vision fluctuations. I read that corneal nerves after LASIK don't get back to normal densities for 5 years after LASIK, so things are STILL going on in your eye. Has your doctor tried a steriod drop for you? I assume they checked your retina, optic nerve and macula during all those exams. There is an ointment called Muro that draws moisture out of a swollen cornea. Has anyone had you try that? It didn't help me, but it may help someone else.
texaseyes

Postby texaseyes » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:25 pm

Richbron,

One other thought. When your vision is "bad", can the eye doctor put a refractive lens on to correct it? If so, then it's not dry eye. If not, it could be dry eye or a bad ablation.
texaseyes

Previous

Return to Had It A While Ago