WAVEFRONT AFTER LASIK

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

WAVEFRONT AFTER LASIK

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Wed May 31, 2006 4:09 am

I'M A 29 YEARS OLD MALE WHO HAD A LASIK OPERATION TO CORRECT SHORT SITE OF -13 TWO YEARS AGO. I STILL SEE A GLARE AND HAZY PICTURES IN DIME LIGHT PLUS MY SIGHT HAS BECAME -3 TILL NOW. WOULD WAVE FRONT OPERATION WAS RECOMMENDED TO ME TO CORRECTE MY VISION. I NEED TO KNOW IF THAT APPLICABLE TO MY SITUATION AND WHAT IS PERCENTANGE OF SUCCESS FOR THIS OPERATION AND WHAT IS ITS DISADVANTAGES OR SIDE EFFECTES, WHICH ARE THE BEST PLACE TO DO SUCH A SURGERY AND WHAT WILL IT COST ME.

MANY THANKS
JOHN
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Wed May 31, 2006 4:13 am

John,

Attempting to correct such a large refractive error is quite difficult. The problems you mention, night vision problems and glare, are more common with large refractive changes. These tend to be caused by what is called spherical aberration. That simply means that the outer edges of your cornea do not focus light the same as the central portion of the cornea. When your pupils become larger, light passing through this undercorrected area of the cornea reaches the retina and is seen as halos around light sources or glare..

Regression is common with large refractive changes. Going from -13.00 to plano back to -3.00 is a reasonable expectation.

A wavefront diagnostic will help determine exactly what is contributing to your poor vision, especially at night. Only after such an evaluation could a doctor know if additional surgery would be significantly beneficial. You may want to read http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/lasik- ... custom.htm

If you are able to travel to Manhattan, I can recommend a doctor for an evaluation.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Wed May 31, 2006 4:18 am

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your prompt reply,i would like to ask if the only way to diagnose the case is to use wave front technique or there is any other way which atleast gives a minimum level of comfort that the case is operable before travelling ?and if there is another way what tests are required?,also i would like to ask what is the percentage of usage of the wave front technique in my case and what is the percentage of success? is there any side effects for the wave front? do you have any specialized centers in Florida?what is the average cost of such operation? sorry for asking too many questions but this issue is very sensitive to me as i need to understand the case in depth before moving .

Regards,
John
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Wed May 31, 2006 4:20 am

At this time only wavefront diagnostic can evaluate the high order aberration (HOA) problems that apparently affect your vision.

The percentage of success will be directly related to the amount, type, and degree of HOA in your vision system. In other words, I cannot possibly predict, but after an evaluation a solid prediction should be available.

Wavefront is simply a mapping system for the laser. All risks and potential side effects are the same as with any refractive surgery.

What city in Florida would you prefer?

Cost varies greatly, but is normally not more than $6,000. That is the most it would cost. It is possible that your medical insurance will pay for the care. Medical insurance will not normally pay for refractive surgery, but may pay for treatment of complications from refractive surgery.

You are more than welcome to ask all the questions you desire. Hopefully I will have answers for them!
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago