Six years out 50-year old with monovision

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Six years out 50-year old with monovision

Postby marianthelibrarian » Wed May 30, 2007 1:37 pm

I had lasik suggested to me by my cataract surgeon when I developed a cataract in my left eye. I have to say there was a bit of a sale job here; I had not really thought of it on my own and that may have something to do with the mixed feelings I have had about my choice. A few weeks after my cataract surgery, lasik was done on both eyes. I made the choice to have monovision and leave my right eye--always weaker than the other to the point that I really did not use both eyes together much--a bit nearsighted for near vision. There was some astigmatism to consider. I had worn glasses for about 35-40 years, and my optometrist was very good at fitting them. My corrected vision was slightly better than 20-20, nice and sharp.

It took a while for my eyes to settle down. My vision without glasses was in the 20-30 range for the left eye. My near vision was good; I could use my computer and read rather small print. Low light vision has definitely been a problem. I have a bit of haloing at night. The monovision choice likely made my distance vision less sharp, so I wear glasses to drive (mainly prescription sunglasses).

Over time I lost most of my near vision. I have bought a succession of reading glasses from Wal-Mart or such places, needing stronger ones as time goes on. This has been disappointing. Dr. suggests it is weakening of the muscle with which I focus. Not as advertised to me.

Lately I have a catract in the near vision (R) eye, and there is some concern about doing cataract over the lasik, which was not discussed at the time of the lasik surgery (different docs, we have moved). My surgery is scheduled for next week, and the doc plans to try to restore near vision for that eye, although I have told him that if it is temporary, I would prefer he try to correct it for distance as well. I don't know if the IOL could do that after lasik that was not enhanced. He says he can pretty much fix the near vision eye and it will stay good for near vision. I look forward to that solution.

Looking back on the decision, sometimes I wonder about my intelligence. I wore lineless bifocals, put them on early am and took them off to sleep. I was ready all day long to see whatever came up, distance, near, and in-between. Then I paid a lot of money and have never had as sharp distance vision as before, endured dry eyes for a time, saw the decline of my near vision to just about nil without readers that grew ever stronger, and now face cataract surgery with my doc informing me he wished I had not had lasik first.

I once told someone that I had concluded that lasik was not an eye operation, but a brain one. It made a sensible person quit wearing glasses (which of course no longer fit) and see less after paying a large sum, but I was basically happy to do so, as if someone had done a little work on my brain.

I hope this little tale gives some perspective to those considering lasik, especially if you have no big gripe with your glasses or contacts and are getting a bit of a sales job.
marianthelibrarian

Re: Six years out 50-year old with monovision

Postby LasikExpert » Wed May 30, 2007 6:02 pm

marianthelibrarian wrote:I hope this little tale gives some perspective to those considering lasik, especially if you have no big gripe with your glasses or contacts and are getting a bit of a sales job.

Yours is an excellent cautionary tale that shows Lasik is not for everybody and individual preferences should be the first consideration. The most one can expect from Lasik is a reduced need for corrective lenses. If you don't mind corrective lenses, there is no real need for Lasik.

The difficulty with cataract surgery after Lasik is not in the surgery itself, but is with determining the correct power intraocular lens (IOL). Many doctors take the measurments necessary for later lens surgery prior to Lasik. These measurements are then referenced when the time comes for an IOL.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Re: Six years out 50-year old with monovision

Postby JPD » Wed May 30, 2007 6:23 pm

LasikExpert wrote:The difficulty with cataract surgery after Lasik is not in the surgery itself, but is with determining the correct power intraocular lens (IOL). Many doctors take the measurments necessary for later lens surgery prior to Lasik. These measurements are then referenced when the time comes for an IOL.

Does this only apply to Lasik, or does it also apply to surface ablations?
JPD

Postby LasikExpert » Wed May 30, 2007 7:10 pm

All corneal based surgery that changes the refractive error (Lasik, All-Laser Lasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, CK, AK, RK, can make determination of the correct power of the IOL more difficult. There are several formulas available to do this, but the best is to have the preoperative measurements to compare with the postoperative measurements.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

One week after cataract surgery

Postby marianthelibrarian » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:58 pm

I do have the ability to read the computer unaided now, and of course the cloudiness of cataract is gone. Not sure how much more clarity and detail I can expect, sure was hoping for the ability to read ordinary smallish print.

Followup in 8 days to measure for glasses which I would wear mainly to drive.
marianthelibrarian

Return to Had It A While Ago