My eyes were made WORSE? Can it be fixed?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

My eyes were made WORSE? Can it be fixed?

Postby TeacherAmy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:16 am

I posted earlier about being post epiLasik and having some difficulty, but now that I'm looking at the prescriptions written for glasses since then, it looks like my right eye in particular may have been made worse. I'll post the specific details tomorrow when I have the papers in front of me, but the nearsightedness is still there and the astigmatism went from -0.25 to -1.00! :shock:

At my follow-up on Tuesday (5 weeks out), the doctor said the eyes weren't worse, although he admitted a slight worsening after I noted the astigmatism Rx. It troubled me that as he dictated into his machine, he made mention of "flap looks good"--when because of epiLasik I hadn't had a flap. He caught on later. He did make mention that I was "correctable to 20/20", so everything's fine. I'll most certainly need another procedure at the three-month mark. :(

I got my second pair of new glasses today and there's not a heck of a lot of improvement. There's still blurriness and a good deal of ghosting and starbursting. I thought these glasses, which are plano and correcting for astigmatism, were supposed to fix the ghosting.

I can't believe this is happening. I had a mild prescription, no complications, and was a great candidate for Lasik. I chose PRK because it was somewhat more conservative. All three surgeons I consulted were very confident, and after the surgery I was even referred to as "the ideal patient", the "textbook case".

I'm so discouraged and worried at this point. Is this a matter of the glasses not being quite the right prescription (again), or is this something that won't be able to be fixed?

PLEASE help. Any information anyone has will be welcome. I'm getting scared.
TeacherAmy

Postby Rock » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:33 am

I am really sorry to hear about your complications. I suffer from the ghosting also. I was given a prescription for glasses that didn't work either. I ended up returning my glasses. You "might" have a HOA. If that's the case, then your in the same boat as I am and glasses won't correct the problem. However, there are post surgical contacts that help correct these complications. I haven't had the chance to try one myself (only 10 weeks out), but I have read a lot of good things about them.
I actually called another doctor today about being fitted for one. I am waiting for a return call.

As far as being the "textbook" patient. Been there, heard that. :shock:
Rock

Postby TeacherAmy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:41 pm

Thank you, Rock. Did your surgeon give any indication as to whether these HOAs are able to be corrected by an enhancement surgery? That's my concern--whether this is permanent and I wind up dependent on glasses and/or contacts all over again.
TeacherAmy

Postby Rock » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:59 pm

Amy, I just had an enhancement surgery to try and correct my HOA. It didn't work. My original surgery was back in 2005. From what I have read and now personally experienced, there seems to be a low success rate of enhancement surgery reducing HOAs. Now, take what I say with a grain of salt. I am a self educated idiot on this subject via the internet. Glenn would be the one to ask.

The thing that I hate the most is that glasses don't correct the problem. I thought when I had the surgery that I could always go back to glasses if I had to. I never thought I would envy those who were able to correct their vision with glasses. LOL. Go figure! I pray that advancements in technology will help correct HOAs.

Maybe your problem is only swelling? You are only 5 weeks out, correct?

Best regards.
Rock

PRK

Postby JustLooking » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:26 pm

I had PRK on September 9th, and at five weeks out, I could not see a thing! It took at least two months for my vision to be anywhere near normal. I see perfectly, now, though getting used to having to use reading glasses is a real pain. I kept a daily log of my progress in this "Just Had It" section.

I was pretty panicked from time to time, too, because my vision was so awful for so long. Reading glasses did nothing for me at all.

I understand that your situation is different and that you may need additional surgery. I am only writing to let you know that you may very well see a substantial improvement over the next month or so. I hope so, anyway. Best of luck.
JustLooking

Postby TeacherAmy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:11 am

Thank you so much, JustLooking. That gives me some comfort. I really have panicked when I realize the glasses aren't correcting things, since I wonder if surgery can correct what surgery caused.

And there's a new, massive complication. I'm pregnant. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I just found out this weekend and was absolutely not expecting it. It's the only time in my marriage that this shock would not be met with unrestrained joy. It means that I can't have the surgery while pregnant or nursing and three months afterward, so that means I'm trapped like this for about three years. :( I'm devastated about that factor, though if it were a choice between that and not having another child, it's a no-brainer.

I'm praying that God will step in and heal my eyes in His own way without needing the enhancement that was originally scheduled for May. And trying not to cry.
TeacherAmy

Congratulations!

Postby JustLooking » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:42 pm

Congratulations on your pregnancy! That's wonderful!! I suppose that the hormone surge could cause vision changes, too. I remember having really bad floaters when I was pregnant, and that was many years ago.

Having to live three years before they could do an enhancement is a very scary thought. Hopefully, your vision will continue to improve over the next few months as you continue to heal from your original surgery.

I found out that my brother was dying shortly after my surgery. It was very hard trying to help him through his last few months when I was also trying to deal with poor eyesight. He died three months after my PRK surgery, so my vision was fluctuating pretty much the whole time he was sick. The emotional ups and downs and all the tears added to the stress of my PRK recovery. I'm sure that pregnancy will be even worse when it comes to being on an emotional roller coaster!

Ironically, when my brother died, they asked us if we would donate his eyes. Because I had been going through my PRK recovery, I found great comfort in knowing that he was able to help someone's eyesight improve.

I'm so sorry that you are going through all of this right now. I've read many accounts of people who have had complications with eye surgery, and the vast majority turned out alright in the end. As a matter of fact, I can't think of very many people who did not end up satisfied in the end. I hope it works out that way for you, too. I feel sure that it will. I will certainly keep you in my thoughts and prayers!
JustLooking

Return to Just Had It