Still ghosting after Lasik enhancement.

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Still ghosting after Lasik enhancement.

Postby Rock » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:30 am

Hello,

I have been lurking on these boards for the last few months. Thank you for all the great information.

Here is a little history. I had my first Lasik procedure done by a top rated doctor in Feb of 2004 at the age of 33. I am not sure what my official numbers were, but I was something like 20/200 both R/L with a slight astigmatism in the left. After the first procedure I was 20/15 R and 20/20 L. However, I did have ghosting in my left eye. The doctor said it would get better with time. So, I just kind of went on with my life and somehow learned to block it out.

Fast fwd to Oct 2008. I decided to go back to my doctor to see if he could fix the ghosting. After several visits trying everything from plugs to glasses (didn't work), I suggested we do another wavefront scan on my eye. BTW, had it not been for this website and I wouldn't have known to ask. :wink: Come to find out, I still had a slight astigmatism in my left eye. Jan 2009. I opted for the enhancement but was fully aware that a flap lift wasn't likely after five years. Much to everyone's surprise the doctor was able to lift the flap (concerning in and of itself) :shock: and treat the area.

5 weeks post op. I still have a single ghost. :roll: It did bring it in a little, but I still see the faint red/green traffic light at the 12 oclock position. The slight ghosting of signs, lcd clocks, etc... I realize I do have some dry eye and the ghosting can be worse at times. However, the drops have NEVER cleared it up totally. It's always there. If I slightly touch the upper portion of my eye, it will totally clear up the ghost. One thing that seems to also help is +1 reading glasses. That's only if I pop out the lense on the right side (good eye) though. Not sure why?

I am trying to be patient and optimistic, really I am. After being told it would get better with time after my original surgery, I am just a little doubtful at this point. My doctor has been great during all of this. Of course he doesn't seem to be concerned and said he will see me in a few months. sigh....

Anyone have a similar experience with ghosting? Thanks!
Rock

Postby DryEye » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:07 pm

How was the enhancement compared to the initial surgery?
Any dry eye issues?
I've had this ghosting, starbursts around led lights and green stop lights since my initial back in June 06
The green stop lights during the day got better around the 8 month to 1 year mark, but I still see them at night
I have residual astigmatism etc - Considering going in to get fixed
Thanks
DryEye

Postby Rock » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:47 am

The second procedure was fairly quick and simple. I was a little stressed my flap was going to tear since it had been five years from my initial surgery, but all went well. I do have some dry eye, but nothing I would consider critical. Pretty much the same as the first surgery. My eye was a little sore the last couple of days, so I increased the amount of drops. I am not sure if that was the issue or not.

The enhancement did tighten up my ghosting a little, but I am pretty sure I still have a slight astigmatism. I would have opted out of the enhancement had a pair of glasses corrected the problem, but they didn't. That's what worried me the most and actually still does. However, +1 reading glasses do help a little. I am hoping that the enhancement removed any residual tissue that wasn't allowing a pair of glasses to work the first time. If that's even a factor? Got me? I am waiting it out to see if the ghosting goes away on it's own before trying the glasses thing again. Besides, I know that is what my doctor will tell me anyways. LOL

I just don't understand why my left eye is being such an issue? It isn't like I had a bad astigmatism. I was even told by two seperate eye centers that I was a prime candidate for the surgery! I understand that I am still in the healing process, but things are looking way to familiar as the first time. Pon intended.

Is your ghosting in both eyes?
Last edited by Rock on Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rock

Postby DryEye » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:36 pm

Yes - more so in right eye along with some other visual issues that glasses can't seem to correct
Did you try a contact lens before enhancement to see if and what improvements occurred?
DryEye

Postby Rock » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:04 am

No, I did not. I actually was going to try a contact if the flap hadn't lifted.
I am pretty sure that a contact would work now. I just need a tiny bit of pressure to clear it up. I have never worn hard contacts before. I use to wear soft contacts off and on before lasik, but I didn't really like wearing them. Hopefully glasses will do the trick this time. My ghosting now isn't as bad as it was before the enhancemnet. I am able to function with no problems. However, it's still aggervating to see.

Wow, I couldn't imagine ghosting in both eyes. That freaks me out just thinking about it!
Rock

Postby Rock » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:34 pm

Week 6.. Slight dry eye and still the single ghost.
Rock

Postby Rock » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:11 pm

DryEye wrote:Yes - more so in right eye along with some other visual issues that glasses can't seem to correct
Did you try a contact lens before enhancement to see if and what improvements occurred?

Have you tried a contact? I am so frustrated with this. It's hard for me to tell what corrective lense might work (if possible) while being tested, because I don't really ghost the old fashion eye chart. I keep telling them I need a lighted source or just the right conditions to ghost certain objects. Maybe I will just take my own LCD clock with me next time!

Glenn, have you heard of people getting a third enhancement for issues like mine? Does this sound like an astigmatism to you? If glasses didn't correct the ghosting pre-enhancement, is there a chance they might work now? I am willing to travel anywhere to get this problem resolved! Help

Thank you in advance for your time.
Rock

Postby Rock » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:57 am

Update.

I am still ghosting with no improvement. Went for my two month checkup and the doctor put me on Restasis. I have been on Restasis for about two weeks. I am soo bummed. :cry:
Rock

Postby Rock » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:54 am

The Restasis has worked well for my dry eye. I can actually feel my own tears again. However, I noticed this week that I now have a second ghost at the three oclock position that wasn't present before. I just don't understand why I got it this late in the healing process? I made an appt this week to be fitted with a contact. I sure hope it works?!
Rock

Postby eclipse » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:45 pm

hey rock, man sorry to hear still haveing problems witht he ghosting, let us know if the contacts work, sure hope so.

planing on having lasik myself in april, do you have a problem with ghosting in both day and night or just at night?

I also have astigmatism and experience starburst at night on any light,
not sure if it would be consider ghosting but some times trafic lights or l.e.d. signs tend to seem like they strecth out when im going under them or close enough that the starburst go away, does any of that sound similar to what you are seeing?
eclipse

Postby eclipse » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:03 pm

Also was just wondering, you said the doctor was able to re-lift your flap, 5 years after the laisk, I know thats probably acceptable to be able to re-lift flap with surgical instruments, but was just wondering if you had any flap problems in the 5 years after your lasik operation?
eclipse

Postby Rock » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:45 am

Hi eclipse,

I wasn't able to get my contact fitting appt until next month. Had to do a lot of calling around to find someone who took my insurance and offered Synergeyes PS.

I had no problems with the flap lifting between procedures. Yes, I experience ghosting both day and night. However, night is the major concern. Starbursting hasn't really been to much of an issue for me. I do have that effect around certain headlights, but my wife experiences the same thing and she hasn't had refractive surgery.

Traffic lights at night seem to stecth and converge as I get closer to them both day and night. Just like you explained. Is this going to be your first surgery or is this an enhancement?
Rock

Postby eclipse » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:16 pm

this will be my first surgery, i have myopia and astigmatism, doing the operation in the end of april.
eclipse

Postby Rock » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:55 pm

Well if you are like most people out there, you won't have an issue. My father, sister-in-law and brother-in-law all had Lasik and didn't have a single problem. Heck, even my right eye is spot on. It's just my left eye that has problems. Just make sure you don't get your surgery done at some fly by night chop shop. However, that didn't seem to help me considering I went to the doctor who performs the surgery on other doctors! :roll: At least that is what they advertise!
Rock

Postby Indept » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:44 am

Rock wrote: However, that didn't seem to help me considering I went to the doctor who performs the surgery on other doctors! :roll: At least that is what they advertise!

Well that explains why doctors handwriting is so bad, they can't see :)
Indept

Next

Return to Just Had It