Had Lasik and PRK on 2-21-BAD NEWS

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Had Lasik and PRK on 2-21-BAD NEWS

Postby GIB » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:54 am

Delete
Last edited by GIB on Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIB

Postby Indept » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:30 am

GIB,
Sounds like you had a tough time. Hang in there, PRK takes a lot longer to give results but it is a better procedure for the long term. I had PRK on my right eye on 2/12/09, you can read my progress on my thread here in this forum. I've read many that have had various results only to finally heal & see well with PRK, not that something can't go wrong, but give it time and follow the drop regimen as prescribed. Also, use preservative free wetting drops, moisture is your eyes friend while it's healing. ANd yes, that was 1 long post, it actually made my PRK eye tear ( it's not real good close up... Yet).
Indept

Postby GIB » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:47 am

Delete
Last edited by GIB on Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIB

Postby BAM17 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:50 pm

GIB,
Way too early to freak out. PRK can take months before you get optimal vision. I am one year post lasik....with quite a few complications....and I have noticed improvement in my vision within the last month. Once your epithelium grows back properly, and smooths over, you will see much better. Dry eyes really hurt the quality of vision too. As your dry eyes start to improve, you will see improvement with your vision. Just keep going to all of your appointments, follow all the instructions, and hang on to faith. I too, went through a very difficult time.....but things do get better! I am praying for you :)
BAM17

Postby GIB » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:49 pm

Delete
Last edited by GIB on Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIB

Postby bethbeth » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:16 pm

I hear ya. It's a scary thing having your eyeballs lasered. It's an operation, not a 'procedure' and all operations have risk, however small. My lasik went reasonably well but I was still sort of traumatised and obsessed with my eyes afterwards, for weeks - still am a bit - so I can only imagine what you must be going through. I've read through quite a few other peoples accounts and it is a cliche to say hang on in there, it is still early days, when you are going through the day to day of coping, but it really is early days and I'm sure you will come through this all well in the end. Just posting to give you some reassurance. It's amazing the capacity of the eye to heal. Dont beat yourself up for having the op and not choosing glasses. Why wouldnt you want to be free of crutches.
Best wishes, Beth
bethbeth

Postby GIB » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:58 am

Delete
Last edited by GIB on Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GIB

Postby bethbeth » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:03 pm

It's ok to rant. Get it out of your system. But try not to start worrying about enhancements at this stage! Your lasik eye is good and the prk one is going to catch up, you'll be fine. I dont know how you could even consider an enhancement after what you've been thru anyway!
The intensity of the light from the starbursting will grow less in time (it took my eyes about 3months before Icould look at a car headlight).
I would say, rest your eyes as much as possible, allow them to heal, which they will.
Yes, my surgeon also seemed not to like me using technical terms and said you cant believe everything you read on the internet, but they seem not too keen to explain, so you end up trying to find info anyway.
When I asked why I was getting starbursting my surgeon said rather dismissively, because you've just had laser surgery! Duh!
But I wouldnt recommend you going elsewhere for a second opinion just yet, because it is still early days. Hang on in there. It will get better.
Beth
bethbeth

Postby GIB » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:35 am

Delete
Last edited by GIB on Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIB

Postby Indept » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:17 am

Good to hear this GIB, keep it hydrated & keep the hopes up
Indept

Postby vj » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:59 pm

Hi GIB,
I understand what you went through.
Forget about PRK, even the Lasik takes time to heal, so you can imagine about the prk. Though I had lasik on both eyes, there/are loads of complications, I would say the initial 2 months were a real bummer for me....i started to believe that I took a wrong decision in my life by getting this done and all the usual crap which comes to your mind.
I am 6 months post op and still have slight ghosting / slight starbursts at night. But believe me, not wearing specs all the time (specially when you have a high prescription) is a relief, consider this technology a boon.
Money is often not the only price you pay for things you desire.
Vision after lasik can be a big adjustment. Starbursts, ghosting will definitely reduce.
But believe me, you will like your life without glasses eventually.
And best you can do for yourself is to be optimistic and be prepared for fluctuations in vision and not mention, dont lose your patience.
Lasik and such surgeries are not as simple as they are marketed. its a complicated eye operation, and requires lots of time to heal....you still have a lot of healing to do, and considering your age, it can take more time compared to people getting this done in there 20s.
I am pretty sure things will further improve, as its already is, but it could be very slow and gradual. So hang in there. Everything's gonna be alright :)
vj

Postby Ryan D » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:49 am

GIB,

Hey, I am going thru a similar problem. I had a epithelium defect that took two weeks to heal completely. So i can relate on the delayed healing. I was sent to have 9 vials of blood drawn to compounded into Autologus Serum Drops for my eye. It helped the healing process. It was at a standstill until I started using the drops every hour.

It has been only3 days since my epithelium healed over, and its slowly getting better. I will continue the drops to help with the smoothing process. They are better than natural tears.

You may want to ask your surgeon about them, it may help you. I hope things are getting better. I am right here with ya.

Ryan
Ryan D

Return to Just Had It