ASA (PRK) need advice

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

ASA (PRK) need advice

Postby gocats7 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:30 pm

I had PRK or ASA which ever you want to call it 5 weeks ago. My vision frankly I can tell much difference or improvement at this point but I am far from where I wish I was.

I am still on FML drops 3 times a day for about 1 more week, then drop to 2 times per day for two weeks then drop to 1 time per day for 2 weeks then done.

My vision first thing in the morning is certainly my best vision. My right eye has a considerable amount more ghosting than my left eye. My night vision or low light vision is certainly not acceptable.

I can, when I first put drops in, see much better for a few seconds so hopefully that is showing me a glimpse of where I will be in the end...maybe, maybe not.

My vision at last check was supposedly 20/30 and 20/40 but I have no idea how it could be that good as I frankly dont feel I can see good enough. It is impacting my ability to do some of the fun tasks I do as my fine detail vision simply isnt there at any real distance so my accuracy in any game or sport I play is suffering quite a bit.

Realistically, what should I expect at this point? Am I pretty much, after 5 weeks where I am going to be? I understand the healing period is much longer with the procedure I had but there comes a point that even the most prepared person starts to question it....and I am THERE.

I would really, really appreciate some advice!
gocats7

Postby gocats7 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:32 pm

One last thing, I spend a LARGE amount of my day working on a computer which I realize adds to my dryness but I dont know if it adds to the healing or could help explain what is going on with me. Just throwing that out there.
gocats7

Postby gocats7 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:31 am

What does it take to get a response!!
gocats7

Postby PRK_EYES » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:33 am

I had PRK 6 months ago.

Recovery has been slowed for me.
My vision becomes clear at 4 months.
Although I still have a little bit of double visions
I guessed I'll put up with it for now.

If you need perfect vision for your work,
you can ask your doctor to
get a temporily glasses or contact lens.
I had to wear a +1.0 contacts for a while.
PRK_EYES

Postby gocats7 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:30 pm

Thank you for your reply, I really need to hear from some people as I have tried to be patient but frankly I am losing it quickly. I need some advice and that is what I see this board as.

My computer vision is no problem at all, I have no problems doing my job. It is my distance vision that is the problem. Basically, my right eyes is ghosted quite a bit and my vision simply is not good enough because of that and my left eyes not being as "sharp" as I would expect. I can't say I have seen any real improvement lately but who knows with slight changes.

There simply is no fine detail past 5 feet or so. Road signs, etc blurry from the ghosting and lack of my left eye being as sharp as it should. Night vision has gotten better but like my day vision is not in the ballpark of where I was before surgery.

Today is my last day being on the FML drops 3 times per day. Tomorrow starts 2 times per day for two weeks, then 1 time per day for 2 weeks. Im hoping to see some changes soon......
gocats7

Postby gocats7 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:33 pm

I guess the fact your vision didnt really clear up until 4 months is encouraging to me. A friend of mine had the same surgery I did with the same doctor and when he stopped his FML drops his vision changes, according to him, was over. I hope that is not the case for me unless the next few weeks are amazing!
gocats7

Postby PRK_EYES » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:52 am

Healing time can be very long, up to a year
from what I read so far.

I had triple visions for the first couple months.
First, I had a pair -0.5 contacts to see better.
Three weeks later, I had a pair of +1.0 contacts.
I used the +1.0 contacts for a couple of months.
Now I can see pretty good.

One of the biggest problem for me is dry eyes.
I have to keep them lubricated, especially overnight.
My eyes will be boned dry the next day.
PRK_EYES

Postby gocats7 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:12 pm

I dont know if dry eyes are part of my problem or not, I dont feel like I have dry eyes but I was told I may not "feel" it.

I checked and at 2 weeks my prescription was -1 R and -.75 L with no astigmatism I was told. What is weird and I am not sure what it means but I read about it on another message board is that when I look through a "pinhole" so only that light is coming through my eye which eliminates the ghosting I can see incredible!!!

I read on one site this was more represenative of what my vision would be like once my cornea finished healing and that why I get ghosting (I have MANY images overlapped) because my corneal surface is not smooth. Same reason that when I put drops in my vision improves briefly.

Other sites said it didnt mean anything. Do you guys know?
gocats7

Postby PRK_EYES » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:52 am

This sounds okay.

Just imagine how the surgery is done to form the curvature.
The diameter of the laser is about 0.9mm to 1.0mm.
Average 200 pulse per second, for 30 seconds per eye.
The laser cut the corneal just like a cylinder, cylinder bottom is flat,
using the edge to flatten the curve to form a bowl shape for near sight people.
The shape of the bowl is more like a "wavy W", to elimate a flat bottom.
The corneal cell is 2-4 microns thick, some got vaporized, some got damaged, some got vaporized halfway. The curvature of your corneal
will be very rough.
Since the curvature is not very smooth, ghosting occurs.

On sunny days, I don't have ghosting at all.
Maybe my pupil acts like a large pinhole.
PRK_EYES

Postby gocats7 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:12 pm

Are you saying that the curvature problem that is causing it will continue or that it will change over time. I think your answer for why it is that way makes sense, but will it get better through the healing process?
gocats7

Postby PRK_EYES » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:53 pm

I think the laser cuts the corneal like a fluted cookie cutter.

The curvature is formed by a series of cutting in layer.

I estimated even at 200 pulses on 5mm diameter corneal, the fluted

circle still have a sharp point of 1 micron proud of the ideal circle, not

totally eliminated. I think that is where the blurred vision comes from.

On the other hand, if you had lasik, the epithelium is preserved.

The surface would be still smooth not rough.

Until those cells are replaced with new ones, your visions will be still

blurred.
PRK_EYES

Postby gocats7 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:33 am

Thank you very much for the replies, I will wait it out and hope for the best! You have been very helpful.
gocats7

Re: ASA (PRK) need advice

Postby fromblindtoneweyes » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:10 pm

I had previous rk surgery 10 years ago, and couple years ago I decided to get my eyes checked. I am glad I did because I needed enhancement. My ophthalmologist here in Jacksonville (on Gate parkway )showed me a picture of my eyes and I saw how barbaric RK incisions looked on my eye.He recommened advanced laser surgery and I can't believe the improvement. I wish I met this doctor earlier.
fromblindtoneweyes

Return to Had It A While Ago