Thought about it and my decision is.........................

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Thought about it and my decision is.........................

Postby Humboldtfisher » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:31 pm

Hi there:

First of all, I'm really glad I researched refractive surgery and found this website. It was good to get a better sense of the complications some folks are dealing with - I certainly wasn't hearing that at the Dr's office or in much detail on the surgery center's website. Reading posts on this website was quite compelling and I really feel for you folks with ongoing complications. The informational articles posted on this site were also extremely helpful.

Well, after weighing my options, reviewing my numbers (including strong astigmatism) and talking to a couple of local surgeons/MD's that I know personally - I canceled my pre-op exam and the procedure. I have decided to continue a fitting for contacts and order a new pair of glasses.

A few more details on several factors:

1. With greater than a -2.00 astigmatism in both eyes, I might still need corrective lens. I also talked to two people who had "successful" procedures, loved the results, but both were back in glasses within 5 to 7 years. So to me, paying $5,200 and risking damage to my eyes for maybe 5 years out of glasses seemed not such a good deal.

2. I have a friend who is a surgeon and when he weighed the options of refractive surgery he talked extensively with three of our local ophthalmologists, and all 3 of them had turned down offers on having the procedure done and all 3 wear glasses or contacts. They apparently expressed concerns about the lack of long-term results/effects - and all three have also treated patients with complications.

3. I really looked at the activities I do that I wanted to be out of glasses for, how often I do these things (like boating, diving), and what was the risk versus benefit.

4. As the nearly sole supporter of my family with a job that requires good functional vision (I'm 20/20 with corrective lens), I asked myself what the 1-2% risk of complications would do to my ability to support my family. Well, it would be devastating, it would totally screw our financial situation! To me this factor was the most influential in my decision - how a bad outcome would affect more than just me.

Well, there you go, that's my brief foray into the issue of refractive surgery. Take care and best wishes to all.

Ross
Humboldtfisher

Postby eclipse » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:36 pm

Hope the contacts work out, I would perfer them over glasses, but thats cause they dont bother me. Take it easy Ross
eclipse

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:29 pm

Thanks for the kind words about our website. I'm absolutely delighted that you did your due diligence and came to the decision that is best for you. I'm also delighted that we may have helped provide information that guided you to your best personal decision.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

You're so smart!!!

Postby AllieCat » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:33 pm

Ross,

You were so smart to research the surgery so completely. I jumped in with both feet, eyes closed!!

Thanks goodness I had a great team out here in Arizona...[redacted]. My surgery went well and am getting better everyday.

Good luck with your decision.

Allie

Note: Name of Lasik clinic redacted.
AllieCat

Re: Thought about it and my decision is.........................

Postby Still Hoping » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:17 am

Oh I only WISH I would have researched further before having it done. I chickened out for 10 years before letting a handful of successful friends' results influence me.

I will forever regret my decision and am extremely JEALOUS to see people wearing glasses. Funny thing is, I was never really bothered by my contacts - I just thought it'd be cool not to have them.

You have, without a doubt, made the correct decision! Congratulations!!!!!
Still Hoping

Postby fromblindtoneweyes » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:23 pm

I used to work for the practise in Jacksonville on Gate Parkway w.(front desk) where our doctor saw many patients (even from Russia) with previous complications, very high astigmatism, very myopic or hyperopic.I know that the doctor individualizes technique for each eye (it's called corneaplastique).You could research him. Don't give up because there are always new techniques and new research coming out.
fromblindtoneweyes

Postby nemesis63 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:55 am

Still Hoping wrote:Oh I only WISH I would have researched further before having it done. I chickened out for 10 years before letting a handful of successful friends' results influence me.

I will forever regret my decision and am extremely JEALOUS to see people wearing glasses. Funny thing is, I was never really bothered by my contacts - I just thought it'd be cool not to have them.

You have, without a doubt, made the correct decision! Congratulations!!!!!

You also described me. Looking at an old picture of me which i'm wearing glasses makes me realy sad.
nemesis63

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:40 pm

A bit of perspective:

Our organization developed and administrates the USAEyes Competence Opinion Relative to Expectation (CORE) vision correction surgery patient survey. Of those who responded

99% report quality of life as expected, better, or much better
    98% day vision as expected, better, or much better
    98% no complications or issues are seldom problematic
    98% would recommend surgery to family and friends.
    97% would have surgery again, knowing what they know now
    96% wear corrective lenses as often as expected, less, or much less than
    expected
    96% report postop vision without lenses as expected, better, or much better
    than expected when compared to preop vision with lenses
    96% report overall quality of vision as expected, better, or much better than
    expected
    91% no complications at any time
    91% night vision as expected, better, or much better
    7% complications seldom problematic
    – 91% would have surgery again
    2% complications frequent or always problematic
    – 22% would have surgery again

I'm among the first to note that when you have a long-term Lasik related complication you have it 100% of the time and the statistical reports of a large group mean little to an individual with complications, but it would be myopic (pun intended) when considering whether or not to have Lasik to consider only the results of someone who has had a complication, just as it would be myopic to consider only the results of someone who had a flawless outcome.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It