Dry eyes drops, must they be preservative free?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Dry eyes drops, must they be preservative free?

Postby Shivan82 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:18 pm

I had my PRK op done 5 days ago, and was instructed to use preservative free, single-use packaged eye drops. This gets insanely expensive if I must dose every half hour or so. Is Systane ok to use post-PRK, long-term even though it contains preservatives?

Another thing, why did they only give me nimesulide for pain after the surgery? Thank[fully] I had Zyrem and Xan*x at home so I was able to at least pass out some of the time during the 4 days of excruciating pain that followed the surgery. Is there a medical reason for not prescribing opiate painkillers after the surgery, or is it simply the doc's preference?
Shivan82

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:33 am

The preservatives used in artificial tears are a toxin. Toxins generally do not promote healing. You should use only preservative-free artificial tears until your doctor instructs otherwise.

A variety of pain killers are used for postoperative pain consistent with PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik. There may be a medical reason to not prescribe eye drop pain killers, but meds takin orally would normally be okay. You need to ask this question of your doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It