4+ Months Post-PRK -- two problems, need help!!

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

4+ Months Post-PRK -- two problems, need help!!

Postby falldrive » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:05 am

Hello everyone,

I had PRK in September (I'm a 23 year old female). I had the typical recovery - painful first few days, better vision each day and was 20/20 or better from about the second week on.

One big issue I've had since about the second week post-op is a discomfort in my upper left eye, the white part under the eyelid. It feels like a constant eyelash in my eye and nothing makes it go away (you can read my posts in the Just Had It section to read more about this). It's been diagnosed as mild GPC. I'll be seeing an allergist soon to see if it's an allergic reaction, since it seems to increase/decrease in intensity over time. Has anyone else had anything like this? I just want to know that this will get better!

My second issue only began 3 days ago. My vision began fluctuating - reading a magazine or watching TV, especially stuff up close, everything was blurry. My eyes feel very strained, as if they just want me to stare off and space out. I got some dizziness and headaches. The blurriness is very concerning since I need to do a lot of reading. Is this just my eyes adjusting? When will this go away? What are other people's experiences with this situation. PLEASE HELP because I'm getting very nervous and worried!!!

Any help would be MUCH appreciated...!

Thanks in advance,

FD
falldrive

Postby tootsieroll » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:53 am

I don't have any advice about the GPC but I know that reading didn't get comfortable till after 6 months. I say comfortable but not perfect. It made my eyes strain even with readers. But I'm 13 months post op and things have cleared up a lot. Give it time and make sure your eyes are not dry. Good luck.
tootsieroll

Postby falldrive » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:35 pm

Thanks tootsieroll.

My concern with the reading/watching TV is that I had no issues reading from a week post-op until now (over 4 months of perfect, comfortable vision). It's just within the last few days that this started. Is this what happened to you?

Also, I spoke with my optometrist about the strain/blurriness issue and he mentioned that it could be a hyperopic shift. He said that I went from being nearsighted (I was around -5.0 in both eyes) pre-op to a little bit farsighted now. He said that with PRK, Lasik, etc that this is normal since overcorrecting can help when eyes regress. So even if I'm overcorrected, when my eyes regress, I should return to normal vision. Is that what others have heard? If so, how long does this process take? Have others experienced changes like this months after surgery?

Again, any help would be appreciated....

FD
falldrive

Postby tootsieroll » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:25 am

Now that you mention it, that did happen to me. My vision was blurry for months and then I was finding it hard to read and I was told that I had a bit of farsightedness. I was worried about that cause people say that they rather have nearsightedness then farsightedness after Lasik/PRK. It felt really odd to read something close to me but months went by and thank god it got better. It did regress and probably still regressing and it all worked out for crisp vision. Now I only have a bit of ghosting and I hope that will clear up soon but the dry winter air is not helping.
tootsieroll

Postby CNeufeld » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:26 pm

At what point were you PRK people able to drive? I like the idea of protecting myself as much as possible from dry eyes, but I work on computers all day, and live 10 minutes out of the city. So I'm concerned about the longer recovery period of PRK vs. Lasik.

Clint
CNeufeld

Postby tootsieroll » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:19 am

I could drive comfortably after 3 months but at night the lights were a big headache. That didn't resolve till way after 6 months.
tootsieroll

Postby falldrive » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:25 pm

bump.

Still experiencing the 2 problems listed in the first post of this thread. I'm at exactly 5 months post-PRK and am looking for some advice/help.

Thanks!!
falldrive

Postby falldrive » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:28 pm

Also forgot to mention that I saw the allergist the other day, and am allergic only to dust mites...but he said this likely has no correlation to the foreign body sensation in the one eye. He gave me some stronger antihistamine drops, but they have had no effect so far.

I'm being referred to an ophthamologist to see if they can figure what may be causing this.

Someone please help!

FD
falldrive

Non-visible problem? Neuropathic pain?

Postby falldrive » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:47 pm

Hello again,

So no luck at the opthalmologist - he couldn't find anything. My optometrist found a tiny "brush" lodged under my eyelid by double-flipping my eyelids and removed it, but it didn't cause any change in the discomfort. The ophthalmologist also did a thorough check under my left eyelid and couldn't see anything on the eye or eyelid.

I'm getting desperate and have been doing some reading on neuropathic pain/discomfort, since I'm starting to get the idea that this is not a 'visible' problem. I've read some posts and articles about tricyclic antidepressants helping this type of 'invisible' eye problem. Can anyone provide any insight on this? Has anyone heard of results related to this? Has anyone been prescribed this for foreign body discomfort in the eye?
Should I try and get a referral to a neurologist or psychiatrist?

Again, any help is appreciated.

FD
falldrive

Postby caputto » Fri May 15, 2009 6:35 pm

tootsieroll wrote:Now that you mention it, that did happen to me. My vision was blurry for months and then I was finding it hard to read and I was told that I had a bit of farsightedness. I was worried about that cause people say that they rather have nearsightedness then farsightedness after Lasik/PRK. It felt really odd to read something close to me but months went by and thank god it got better. It did regress and probably still regressing and it all worked out for crisp vision. Now I only have a bit of ghosting and I hope that will clear up soon but the dry winter air is not helping.

Can you tell me when most of your regression occured? I am exactly 7 weeks from my PRK procedure and I am currently over corrected. I am hoping to have regression. Also, how much regression did you have?
Thanks for your help
caputto

Return to Had It A While Ago