HELP!!! INTENSE PAIN DURING LASIK - WHAT TO DO?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

HELP!!! INTENSE PAIN DURING LASIK - WHAT TO DO?

Postby Julie007 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:09 pm

My Lasik procedure failed and I had intense pain during the process (April 3, 2009). It was performed in Las Vegas, NV, by one of the best U.S. doctors. Is there any way to avoid this pain with future Lasik procedures and if so how? I am not in love with PRK and would much prefer Lasik because I need my vision to be as good as possible as quickly as possible.

I am caucasian with small eyes, high cheek bones and 51 years old. I had lens replacement (Restor lenses) on Feb. 6 and 13 for cataracts, hyperopia and presbyopia. The Lasik was to fix signifcant astigmatism.

Before the procedure, I took one 5mg _____ (spam filter won't let me post the word that starts and ends with an X) and one 5mg Valium, which was totally inadequate in my case. It was like maybe having a couple of alcoholic drinks. At least my eyeballs were adequately numbed.

During the procedure, I had unbearble pain on my eyebrow bone and cheek bone from the force and pressure of the instruments. It felt like my face was being painfully smashed! Consequently, my right eye uncontrollably started squeezing very hard against the force on my face. The doctor was very surprised by this very hard squeezing and said that I popped out one of the instruments a couple of times (I am not sure if it was the eye lid speculum or suction ring). It hurt so much I even ended up crying while the doctor was trying to work on my right eye.

The doctor tried suction three times and was able to make a laser incision on the right eye. However, he stopped everything and refused to work on the left eye. He said it was too dangerous to continue. Because of the repeated suction, my right eye is now still swollen and sore four days later. The vision in my right eye useless -- I cannot even read the top line of an eye chart, although it seems to be getting a bit better.

The doctor said the whole painful process amounted to essentially ZERO (but it was really worse than zero)! The main result was that my eye got "beat up" (his exact words) because of the repeated suction. The doctor thinks my vision should get better in a week or two as my eye recovers from being "beat up."

I have not been able to find anyone else on the Internet or in the real world who has had an awful experience like this. I have a high pain tolerance, so I if I was in pain, it was real, not psychological. I am just so disheartened that I cannot find much information on my particular issues.

I want to try Lasik again instead of PRK, because I have a big law examine at the end of July and my vision needs to be as good as possible as quickly as possible for studying. Is there any way to reduce the pain? The doctor suggested more X____ and Valium, but I am doubtful about that. Would taking a powerful pain killer, like Percoset or Morphine before the procedure, make it bearable? Would numbing the eyelids do any good?

HELP!!! I have now had blurry vision since February and can't stand it any longer! I need my eyesight. I work full-time and need to study for the big law exam. I am getting very depressed about all this.

Thank you very much for your consideration.

If it helps, you can see my photo is below:
Julie007

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:45 pm

Julie,

First of all, you take a lovely picture.

Your small orbits (area around the eyes) are the difficulty. The microkeratome that creates the Lasik flap in combination with the eye speculum are putting too much pressure on the orbit. This can lead to pain during surgery, but also bruising of the orbit or even damage of the nerves in the area of the Orbit.

It may be that PRK or LASEK are the only appropriate vision correction surgery options for you, but I highly recommend you decide not to decide about this until after your exam.

I understand the pressure of a law exam. My recommendation is to wait until after the exam for any elective surgery. You simply do not need the distraction or the possibility (even if the probability is very low) of a problem with your vision during this critical time. Put vision correction surgery out of your mind, use your contacts and glasses through July, take the exam, then revisit the issue when you don't have a time constraint that may pressure you into making a decision that is not in your very best interest.

The results of your vision correction surgery will last a lifetime. Don't make a poor decision because of a few months artificial timeline.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Re: HELP!!! INTENSE PAIN DURING LASIK - WHAT TO DO?

Postby It's Just Me » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:25 am

I also remember pretty extreme pain during the procedure on my left eye. It felt like something was smashing my cheekbone. I was terrified to move though because it was my eye, and just tried my hardest to stay still. I remember moving my leg a little bit to deal with the pain, and I squeezed the animal I was given pretty darned hard! I just didn't want him to do something to my eye if I moved. Then...it was over. Didn't last long. I know what it's like to be blurry. Mine is better (I had mine done 1-15-09) but not good enough to see signs driving, and it's irritating when inside and the room isn't bright...very blurry still about 10 feet out. I'm wondering if numbing the eyelids as you suggested would work? They don't want you TOO 'out' because they need to talk to you during the procedure. I wonder why my right eye didn't hurt and my left did. Maybe they did something different. Might be worth bringing up at my appointment on Monday.

Also, you just had it done. They are just NOW thinking of an enhancement of my eyes as it's been 3 months. They want to wait 3-6 months or longer.

HELP!!! I have now had blurry vision since February and can't stand it any longer! I need my eyesight. I work full-time and need to study for the big law exam. I am getting very depressed about all this.

Thank you very much for your consideration.

If it helps, you can see my photo is below:
Image[/quote]
It's Just Me

Return to Just Had It