My Lasek experience, good and bad.

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

My Lasek experience, good and bad.

Postby stinger » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:52 pm

I just thought I would post my Lasek experience for anyone considering this procedure. I've posted on here a few times when things have apppeared bad and have been given some good advice.

I got my eyes lasered back in October 2007 for one reason. To meet the eyesight requirements to allow me to gain entry to the police force. I have acheived this so it was worthwhile from that respect.

I had a prescription of around -3.75 in both eyes. One might have been -4.00 I cant remember now. Anyway I went for Lasek with wavefront as they said my pupils were too large for lasik but more imporatantly lasek would be better as my potentail career meant I could suffer trauma to the eye which could cause flap problems. After the procedure my vision was functional and continued to get better for the next couple of days. There was no pain just horrible light sensitivity for the next 2 days. I could hardly open my eyes and just sat in the house with my sunglasses on. After 4 days I had the bandage lenses taken out and things quickly improved. At the 3 week mark i could read the whole of the opticians chart however my left eye was a few lines behind and never got any better. It had been undercorrected. I didn't mind too much as my right eye was so good I couldn't notice it. After 12 weeks I stopped the FML drops and things gradually went downhill from here as the right eye regressed to the same level as my undercorrected left eye. They gave me some glasses for driving which I really needed. I was told to go back to the opticians every month to make sure my eyes were stable and when they were i could be retreated. My retreatment was booked for July 08 but when i turned up the surgeon wouldnt treat me as she said I had high levels of haze in my eyes and put me on FML drops every hour for 2 weeks and then 4 times a day for 2 weeks. The optom said I had no haze and to be honest i beleived him over the surgeon as he has seen my eyes every month (at least) for months. The FML drops certainly made no difference to my vision. I was then booked for the retreat at the begining of october and this was cancelled at the last minute as they had no MMC. I was annoyed to say the least. Two weeks later my left eye was finally retreated, 12 months exactly from the initial procedure. This time it took much longer for my vision to clear, about 4 weeks i would say. The trouble this time is i've been overcorrected now and so far it hasn't shown any signs of regression. I've been off the FML drops for about 6 weeks now I think. My vision is alot better but having one eye overcorrected and a minus prescription in the other eye takes a bit of getting used to!

The plan was to redo my right after 3 months afer the left but I'm thinking of calling it a day. My reasons are that if they overcorrected my right eye then i'm stuffed as i will need reading glasses. The main reason though is i've been researching more into MMC and I dont really think I want to risk having this powerful drug on my eyes again. Who knows what damage i've already done to myself with 3 applications. Its a worry.

At the end of the day I got what I wanted from the procedure but its been a long roller coaster ride and I still dont have perfect vision. My night vision is rubbish. My provider has been excellent though, apart from the hiccup when they had no MMC. Although, maybe that was an omen!!

Just be careful if considering a retreat as these carry just as much, if not more risks than the initial procedure. They certainly should never be refered to as a "top up" If anyone is considering lasek and has any questions just give me a shout and i'll try and answer them.
stinger

Postby It's Just Me » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:40 am

I was corrected -1.25 in the left eye (monovision, this is my "close up" eye) and -2.00 in my right. The right is ok...a little blurry, but liveable. My left eye is a joke at this time....it's only been 2 1/2 weeks though, and they say my "end point" vision could be better, but we have to wait. I will hopefully get a touch up later on if it is this blurry....I can't see much, but I'm adjusting to not seeing clearly. Strange what the human body can adjust to isnt it? I wish they could give me glasses for now till it heals, but she said it wouldn't work as it fluctuates too much right at first.
It's Just Me

Postby It's Just Me » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:43 am

Update. Well, with the exception of theaters, inside my house unless all the lights are on, signs while driving....I can see pretty darn good. I went to the doctor last week. they are thinking of re-doing my right eye (I have monovision). I have had some really frustrating times from the blurriness. Can't see the exit sign till I'm up on it, can't see lines sometimes while driving...I've had a couple of close calls. I will get the enhancement and report back :)
It's Just Me

Postby vj » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:12 pm

hi...yea do reply how the re treatment went.
I am 7 months post op, my eyes healed at -1.5 (R) and .5(L)
Yea, cinema is not the same anymore with lasik. I guess as the pupils dilates inside the dark cinema, I see all ghostings and stuff like that.
I am also thinking of getting a retreatment in a couple of months....have been experiencing ghostings ever since if got this done....peace.
vj

Postby It's Just Me » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:41 am

What is ghosting?

I just am plain old blurry in a theater. I suppose I could just get glasses for those times I'm in a theater..not even that much really LOL
It's Just Me

Postby vj » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:46 am

ghostings are like when you see a ghost image in a particular direction. I have them a little in both eyes and they increase in darkness. Although the vision is clear in darkness, things like white text on dark background, light coloured image on a dark background, kind of bleed in particular direction.
i was -7.5 both eyes pre op. How much were you? How come you regressed so much in just 3 weeks if I am not wrong?
vj

Postby It's Just Me » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:55 pm

I haven't regressed at all. I have gotten steadily better in 3 months :)

I am just going to ask the surgeon when he calls today if he can do anything, the receptionist said he's willing to try to get it closer :=) I just want to know if I can get it good enough so my home is clear. It's blury in my house. That is disorienting to me. I could use glasses IF I was driving somewhere and REALLY needed to see signs clearly OR I could just get the left eye done for far away and be done with it. I'll know more today.
It's Just Me

Return to Had It A While Ago