ICL vs. Lasik

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

ICL vs. Lasik

Postby fatsheep » Mon May 04, 2009 10:55 pm

Besides the fact that Lasik is cheaper, what advantages does Lasik have over ICL? From what I've read implantable contact lenses don't have the halo or dry eye complications that Lasik does. It also can be undone by removing the lens where Lasik cannot be undone (since you've reshapped the front of the eye).

I've previously thought ICL is only for people with higher refraction errors (very bad eyesight) than Lasik can treat. However, it seems like it might be better in many cases so I'm not sure why that is the case. Just in case you are wondering where I am getting my info, I saw this report on the local news:

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/w ... a4a31.html

So, to restate the question, what are the benefits of Lasik over ICL and vice versa?
fatsheep

Re: ICL vs. Lasik

Postby LasikExpert » Fri May 08, 2009 4:30 pm

fatsheep wrote:From what I've read implantable contact lenses don't have the halo or dry eye complications that Lasik does.

The dry issue is accurate. A phakic intraocular lens (PIOL) aka implantable collamer lens (ICL) is not as likely as Lasik to induce dry eye issues because of much less disruption to the cornea.

Halos can occur with PIOLs because the optics can be too small for the size of the naturally dilated pupil.

fatsheep wrote:It also can be undone by removing the lens where Lasik cannot be undone (since you've reshapped the front of the eye).

True that the PIOL can be removed, but that is an invasive surgery that should not be considered lightly.

fatsheep wrote:I've previously thought ICL is only for people with higher refraction errors (very bad eyesight) than Lasik can treat. However, it seems like it might be better in many cases so I'm not sure why that is the case.

PIOLs cannot correct astigmatism well or at all. The surgery is much, much more invasive than Lasik. The PIOL within the eye can - and almost always does - cause loss of the cells on the back of the cornea. A PIOL is always a temporary implant. At some point it must be removed. See our article about PIOLs.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby fatsheep » Fri May 08, 2009 5:01 pm

Okay now I can see why they only use the ICL on people that are so nearsighted they cannot have lasik. I wasn't taking into account the invasiveness of the surgery and possible complications. Thanks for the info.
fatsheep

Lens Implants

Postby ebobeye » Mon May 18, 2009 11:02 pm

If you want to read all about the suitability of ICL's and risks, see http://www.youreyeguide.co.uk/newlensimplant/index.html
Lens implants are not as popular as lasik because of the obvious limitations but more and more laser eye surgery clinics do seem to be offering them.
ebobeye

Return to Thinking About It