"Dry Spot" on one eye, post-Epi-Lasik

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

"Dry Spot" on one eye, post-Epi-Lasik

Postby catnmus » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:41 pm

I recently had a follow-up visit for my Epi-Lasik. 3 months after my left eye was done, and 1 month after my right eye. The doctor noted a "dry spot" on my left eye. I was not surprised, because a couple of times when I woke up (sometimes in the morning, sometimes in the middle of the night), I had the (painful) sensation of my eyelid "peeling off" that eyeball. I don't remember precisely when this started, but the eye doc never noted it during an exam before.

My question is, how concerned should I be about it, and what can I do to encourage healing? I've got the Refresh Celluvisc drops, and my next appointment is not for another 4 weeks. Is there anything else I can or should do? And is this likely to occur in the other eye, too?

Note, this dry spot doesn't bother me at all during the day and I don't think it affects my vision, either.
catnmus

Update on my dry eye

Postby catnmus » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:46 pm

Just thought I'd give an update on my Dry Eye. Remember that this is an actual "dry patch" physically on my eyeball, that the optometrist can see, and that my eyelid sticks to at night. Quite painful to peel it off!

I used Refresh Celluvisc at night for about two weeks, waking up in the middle of the night to put in more drops, and putting up with the extreme crustiness in the morning. And even after two weeks, if I didn't happen to wake up in the middle of the night to put more drops in, my eyelid would again be stuck to my eyeball. Not good.

I called my optometrist, and he said I could use the GenTeal severe dry eye gel, which is preservative-free-on-contact. He said that was better than either letting the eye stay dry or using the kind with preservatives. I've only used it for one night (and it was actually a short night), but so far I LOVE it. No crustiness at all. And my eyelid was not stuck. Yay!

I have an appt next Tuesday, and I hope to find out that the spot is healing.
catnmus

Update on dry eye

Postby catnmus » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:47 pm

To summarize:

I had Epi-Lasik on my left eye on 1/8/2008. Right eye on 3/4/2008. Somewhere around 2.5 months out, my left eyelid started sticking to my eyeball during the night. My doctor noted a dry patch on my left eye, either the cause or the result of this sticking. I tried using Refresh Celluvisc at night, but it didn't last all night, and it caused a lot of severe, annoying, powdery crustiness.

I switched to Genteal Gel for Severe Dry Eye, which is "preservative free on contact". This takes about 2-3 minutes to distribute around my eye. This DOES last all night, and there is only a minor amount of gummy crustiness. I also started using it on my right eye as well, since I woke up one night with THAT eyelid stuck to the eyeball.

At my appointment yesterday, my doc said there are still some dry spots, but I think the large-ish one on my left eye is smaller. He said he's seen more dry spots on people that haven't even had lasik. But of course they're not gone. He also checked, and said that when I blink my eyelids do not close completely together. So that could be the cause of all this.

I like the Genteal a lot, and unless I hear otherwise from the surgeon, I think I'll be using this pretty much exclusively, at least until the dry spots get better. It does seem like it "reacts" with Systane - if I've been using that, and then put the Genteal in, I have a pretty intense burning feeling for a minute or so. I'm sure this is not good, which is why I will try exclusively using Genteal.

As far as vision, I'm seeing 20/20 in my left eye still (3 months out), though there is maybe a touch of nearsightedness. My astigmatism in that eye appears to be pretty much completely gone (yay). Right eye is only 20/40, which is within the driving limit, with about 4-5 steps of astigmatism. At 8 weeks out, my left eye was 20/20, so this result is a little disappointing. But I'm just going to trust that it will continue to improve. I go back in 6 weeks.
catnmus

Postby tootsieroll » Thu May 01, 2008 8:21 am

I had a similar situation before and it seems to be getting better as the months go by. My eyes don't want to be morning eyes! They prefer to sleep the day away and when I don't get enough sleep they tend to be dry and stick to my lids. I noticed that using a warm compress 10-20 mins before bed really helps.
tootsieroll

Postby TSUJC » Wed May 06, 2009 3:46 am

Have you asked your doctor about recurrent corneal erosion? Sounds like something you should look in to.
TSUJC

Never considered RCE, and now I'm annoyed!

Postby catnmus » Sat May 09, 2009 8:01 pm

My eye doctor never mentioned recurrent corneal erosion, and now I'm annoyed. The doc told me when I close my eyes they don't close all the way and that's what's drying them out. The one specific dry spot has healed, according to him, but I still have issues.

I just read the Wikipedia page and it sure sounds like me! It's been over a year and I'm still putting in Genteal Gel every night. There was a brief period of time during the rainy season where I went two nights without it and it was tolerable in the morning. But mostly I put the gel in every night, and then in the morning I pull off the crusties and put in a drop of a thinning gel. Also the fan is not pointing toward the bed anymore, but pretty soon it's going to be hot out, and I don't know what I'm going to do then!

I will probably try to get the records from my doctor, and see if this is mentioned. The Wikipedia page mentions a couple of treatment options. I doubt I'd do the laser thing but I would certainly consider the contact lens option. It's not like my vision is 20/20 anyway!

So I've traded putting contacts in in the morning and taking them out in the evening, for putting drops in at night and washing them out in the morning. I've traded carrying a lens case and contact solution when I travel, to carrying a tube of gel and a bottle of drops. Oh, and nighttime driving glasses, for my 20/30 + astigmatism vision.
catnmus

Return to Just Had It