Enhancement 10 months ago and miserable ever since

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Enhancement 10 months ago and miserable ever since

Postby mcapp » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:47 am

I had my first lasik surgery done over a year and a half ago. Since I was still about 20/40 in both eyes, my doctor and I decided that an enhancement would be appropriate to get me to 20/20. I had the enhancement completed in both eyes about 10 months ago. At first everything seemed to be great. I was seeing 20/20 and had no real concerns. After a couple of days passed, I noticed something with my vision was not quite right. It took me awhile to pinpoint exactly what it was but after about two weeks, I noticed my left eye was having contrast sensitivity issues. Anytime light was in my field of vision, what I was seeing out of my left eye seemed to be hazy. If I covered the light source with my hands then it was fine. It was really noticable sitting in my kitchen looking at people in front of my outside window. They were clear and visible in my right eye but I could barely make them out in my left eye because the light from the window washed them out.

Then after a couple of months, I really started to notice weird floaters in my eyes. They were not the common dark specs or squiggly lines. These were large cloudy spots that were very evident when I looked up at lights (like in a department store). It was like a parade of glarey, blurry spots thoughout my entire vision.

I worried so much that my complications were going to continue to get worse that I actually had a nervous breakdown. I had to go on anxiety/depression medicine because I couldn't stop waking up in the middle of the night worrying and I couldn't stop obsessing about my vision all day long.

I went back to the eye doctor who performed the surgery and he stated it could take up to four years for my eyes to totally heal and that the glare (contrast sensitivity) should go away. He dialated my eyes and said everything seemed to be fine. He said the floaters were mere coincidence and nothing more. As it stands, I have a monthly appointment with the eye doctor to look at my eyes and verify things are doing fine with them. I plan on getting a second opinion from another opthalmologist. Until then, I continue to regret the entire lasik process. I would really like to know if this glare/contrast sensitivity issue I am experiencing in my left eye will actually get better. Also, I always had minor floaters, but post lasik, my eyes are filled with them. Is that normal? Any advice would be appreciated.
mcapp

Postby It's Just Me » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:44 pm

No advice, but I'll be "enhanced" tomorrow.

I hope it goes well for me, and let us know what happened with you!
It's Just Me

Re: Enhancement 10 months ago and miserable ever since

Postby LasikExpert » Mon May 11, 2009 4:04 pm

mcapp wrote:I worried so much that my complications were going to continue to get worse that I actually had a nervous breakdown.

Sometimes the fear and concern is more damaging than the actual problem. This is something to address as early as possible if the Lasik outcome was not as desired.

mcapp wrote:He said the floaters were mere coincidence and nothing more.

Lasik can disturb the inner eye and stir up floaters, however it appears that your floaters appeared much later. Normally Lasik related floater problems appear immediately after surgery.

mcapp wrote:As it stands, I have a monthly appointment with the eye doctor to look at my eyes and verify things are doing fine with them. I plan on getting a second opinion from another opthalmologist.

Both are very important for your peace of mind as much as for monitoring the progress of your recovery and being sure that you are on the right path.

Please keep us informed of your progress.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby It's Just Me » Tue May 19, 2009 3:39 pm

It's Just Me wrote:No advice, but I'll be "enhanced" tomorrow.

I hope it goes well for me, and let us know what happened with you!

It went well. I am testing 20/15 on the eye chart. No halos, no ghosting. Just crystal clear vision!!! I am a very happy person
It's Just Me

contrast sensitivity

Postby Still Hoping » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:31 am

mcapp: That must be what I'm experiencing. Things become silouettes even when I know they shouldn't be. A very sensitive nerve in my left eye seems to be ultrasensitive to it and I, too, am now on anti-anxiety/anit-depressants. My heart goes out to you. I hope we don't have to suffer our entire lives like this.
Still Hoping

"4 years" to get better? Watch the statute of limitations!

Postby Anyman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:24 am

I doubt it can take "4 years" to get better! Know the statute of limitations in your area and be guided accordingly. Could be that you are being stalled until to time you have to file a lawsuit has passed.
Anyman

Re: Enhancement 10 months ago and miserable ever since

Postby Still Hoping » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 pm

I am very curious to know what anti-anxiety/depression meds have worked for you. If you are not comfortable posting here, I'd be happy to supply my e-mail address. Oh how I wish we could turn back time!!!!
Still Hoping

Return to Had It A While Ago