7 months post-op, problems remain, help!

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

7 months post-op, problems remain, help!

Postby donkey » Wed May 13, 2009 12:20 am

im 26 and had my eyes prk'd about 7 months ago. today i went for a standard eye exam but not at the place of my surgery, the last time i was there was at the the 6 month mark.

pre-surgery my eyes were about -3.00 with some astigmatism. after the exam today my prescription was zero but i still have -0.25 astigmatism in both eyes. according to the optometrist it's such a insignificant amount that contacts would likely make things worse and with glasses the improvement would be so minor they arent really worth it. i also had a dry eye test today. the results show my eyes are slightly dry, normal eyes should remain moist for 13 seconds mine last 10.

this leads me to my concerns about a few issues im having.

i still see startburts and halos, it's not dibilitating but they are annoying. worse is the glare i see, day or night it's noticeable. the glare around windows and lights is one thing but stuff like white text on tv or a white bottle in a dim room... it's looks like there's a white aura around it.
if i look at a bright LED light like the ones on my modem one eye at a time in a dim room for a few seconds i see double/ghosting. with both eyes open the ghosting is gone but i notice the lights slowly get fuzzy after a few seconds. i dont really notice ghosting on anything else although the edges of objects for example a piece of paper seem less defined. not sure if that's from ghosting or glare.

so now the questions.
1. im using artificial tears for my dry eyes. if i use them too often can it negatively affect my own tear production? what is the best way to improve tear production and tear film?
2. do i have double vision and if not what's causing the lights to double like that?
3. considering im at 7 months post-op is it likely my halo/starbursting and most importantly glare will still improve or go away? if not what would my options be to correct these issues?

the more feedback/advice the better.

thanks in advance to anyone that replies.
donkey

Re: 7 months post-op, problems remain, help!

Postby LasikExpert » Thu May 14, 2009 3:58 pm

donkey wrote:1. im using artificial tears for my dry eyes. if i use them too often can it negatively affect my own tear production? what is the best way to improve tear production and tear film?

If the artificial tears are preservative-free, then it is unlikely you are causing any damage to your eyes. We have a detailed article about how to treat dry eye that may be helpful.
donkey wrote:2. do i have double vision and if not what's causing the lights to double like that?

More problems in low light environments indicates that you have some irregularities at the outer edges of your cornea, however what you experience may be fully explained by the small 0.25 D of astigmatism. Ask your eye doctor if the results of your cycloplegic exam are different than your manifest refraction. Cycloplegic is with the pupil dilated. You may want to read about PRK and pupil size issues.
donkey wrote:3. considering im at 7 months post-op is it likely my halo/starbursting and most importantly glare will still improve or go away? if not what would my options be to correct these issues?

Unless there are other issues that are contributing to the problem, you should be as fully healed from your PRK as you are going to be. There may be small minor improvements later on, but it sounds like you have reached the results end-point.

In the doctor's office you can see through that lens machine (phoropter) what vision would be with full correction. It may be worth while to have a pair of glasses made with full correction and wear them in different environments (low light, night driving, bright light, white text on television) to see if they improve your vision.

Ask your doctor for a pair of trial contact lenses with very minor or no correction. These may act as smoothing "bandages" and improve vision. You would not want to wear them all the time, but they can indicate a cause of the problem if vision is improved.

You should also go back to your surgeon and explain your concerns. There may be issues about which you are not clear that are contributing to the problem.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby donkey » Fri May 15, 2009 10:47 am

i will make an appointment with my surgeon to get things looked at and i will see if i can get a trial pair of contacts locally this weekend to see if it does anything. i fear the worse though, especially when it comes to the glare. if contacts or glasses dont do anything, is it possible to safely correct something as small as -0.25 astigmatism and any high order aberrations or would the risk be high??

right now i regret the surgery but if things ended up worse i would go nuts.

also recently my right eye has a little vertical line i see when looking from the side of my eye and then back to center. sometimes it looks like a faint shadow and other times it looks like it's transparent but magnifying/distorting stuff... it's very noticeable on glare. i've always thought floaters move slowly but this moves across my vision very fast then disappears. any idea if this is a floater or possible something else?

thanks again.
donkey

Postby Rock » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:45 pm

If a contact corrects his ghosting, why wouldn't he want to wear it all the time?
Rock

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:07 pm

The primary target of refractive surgery is to eliminate the need for corrective lenses. Even if vision is vastly improved after PRK, wearing a contact lens is the same hassle whether it is correcting a small amount of astigmatism or a large amount of myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby donkey » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:00 am

to me if the hassel is very much worth it if i can see normal again. im hoping that things will work out as i reach the year mark as it does for some people but right now it feels like i paid the surgeon to kick in my nuts. my vision sucks and i need something to hold me over for now.

i just got some soft contacts to try first. im hoping they work, if not i will ask to be fitted for rgp lenses.
donkey

Postby johnny_F » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:58 pm

Hey Donkey,

your complaints sound almost identical to mine. Luckily for me I only have astigmatism of 0.25 in one eye. My other eye is perfect. I am amazed what a difference that slight perscription can make though, especially for further distances. The doctors at my Lasik clinic tell me I shouldn't even notice that error, but boy are they wrong. Luckily, with both eyes I can see fine, so it isn't a big issue to me anymore.

I also have some slight ghosting/double vision in that eye, day and night. although it is a little more noticeable at night. I would imagine the astigmatism is to blame for that and not HOAs. I have never tried a lense or anything, but I have seen a second doctor for a check up and it definately gets better during my eye test, so it is correctable with lenses.

I also get minor starbursts and halos at night (and yes LED lights are terrible), but I am now 13 months out and I honestly rarely notice it anymore. I was pretty hung up on it for a while, but the more I forgot about it and got used to it, the less I notice it. Same goes for the floaters I have. There may have been some slight healing past 6 months, but I think it had more to do with accepting it and forgetting about it.

My only real concern now is my mild dry eye issues, and my eyes getting worse. I doubt I would be able to handle contacts anymore with dry eyes, so i'm hoping for the best.

Good luck.
johnny_F

Postby DryEye » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:59 am

"....i'm hoping that things will work out as i reach the year mark as it does for some people but right now it feels like i paid the surgeon to kick in my nuts."

Exactly how I have felt since i did my lasik 3 years ago

It's also the best quote i have read on this Board

Nobody in their right mind has refractive surgery with the goal of having "less need" for contacts or glasses

I imagine I will go back in one day and try to get things fixed

I do think the astigmatism is the cause for some of this as I still have residual astigmatism and have some of the same things you described.

Get another opinion from a TOP refractive Doc in the business, so you can try to narrow down exactly what is wrong

Let us know - Keep the Humor - I find It Helps in Life
DryEye

Return to Had It A While Ago