Time frame of regression after PRK

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Time frame of regression after PRK

Postby caputto » Thu May 14, 2009 11:37 pm

I had PRK performed exactly 7 weeks ago today. Prior to the surgery I was -7.5 in the left eye and -9.00 in the right with a slight astigmatism. Currently, I am over-corrected.
left eye +1.00
right eye +1.75 and I still have some ghosting

As it stands now, I am hoping/praying I get some regression. Can someone tell me when regression usually occurs and the range of the regression.
thanks for you help.
caputto

Postby LasikExpert » Fri May 15, 2009 8:59 pm

You absolutely should expect regression, and it is likely going to be about the amount you need to take you back to plano (no refractive error). You may want to read our article about Lasik overcorrection and regression.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby caputto » Fri May 15, 2009 9:08 pm

Thank you for the reply.

Can you tell me at what point do you usually see the regression occurr? I have read that, for the most part, regression is usually completed by 3 months. Does the regression tend to occur most frequently between the 2nd and 3rd month? Also, how much regression is typical? I have read 10% - 30%.
thank you
caputto

Postby LasikExpert » Fri May 15, 2009 10:35 pm

Regression does tend to occur mostly in the first three months, but your overcorrection is planned and your regression is likely being controlled to some degree by the eye drops your doctor prescribed. This may be to change the normal regression process. This is where a good talk with your doctor would be valuable.

Regression amounts vary from person to person and depending upon the amount of initial correction. Regression if the initial correction is under 6.00 diopers is rather rare. Regression if the initial correction is over 8.00 diopters is common. The more the initial correction, the more likely there will be regression and the more higher the amount of regression.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Had It A While Ago