Strongly considering crystalens

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Strongly considering crystalens

Postby sadie » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:04 am

I have cataracts in one eye and they are starting to develop in the other. I am trying to decide between an ordinary monofocal lens and the crystalens (I do not want the bifocal lens). I have confidence in my doctor and in the measurements he has taken for the crystalens, but I still have some lingering doubts. While I would like to stop wearing glasses (at least for far and mid-distance), I am very wary of side effects and extra risks. What has more or less convinced me to choose the crystalens is the statement by my doctor that if at the time of the operation it appears that for whatever reason the crystalens cannot be inserted properly, he implants an ordinary lens instead. However, what are the alternatives if the first crystalens is implanted but there is a problem with the second and an ordinary lens is inserted? My doctor talks about removing the crystalens in the first eye and replacing it with an ordinary lens. I find this too risky. In that situation, can I just retain one crystalens (in my dominant eye) have an ordinary lens in the other eye and wear glasses?
sadie

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:24 pm

If you decide to have Crystalens, you may ask the doctor to do your nondominant eye first.

For the people that it works, Crystalens can restore a small amount of near vision. For those that it does not, it is a lot of money for so much expensive baggage. You need to accept the possibility that you may not gain near vision with Crystalens.

Have you tried monovision with contacts to see if this may work?
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It