Intermediate Vision Blurriness

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Intermediate Vision Blurriness

Postby peonygirl » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:14 pm

Hello, I'm a 59 year old female who had custom lasik 12 days ago. Prior to surgery my vision in my right eye was (OD) -4.25 +2 x 85 and in my left eye was (OS) -4.00 + 1.75 x 81. I also had a reading glass correction of +2.25. I had my week checkup a few days ago and the doctor said everything looked very good overall with just usual dryness and no astigmatism, but I may have a slight overcorrection. My vision tested 20/40 in both eyes the day after surgery and still tested 20/40 in both eyes at one week. He told me to keep using the eyedrops and we'd see where I was at the month check up. When I mentioned to the assistant that I was having blurriness and described it to her, she said it sounded like I was having problems with my intermediate vision range. I can see well at a distance; my primary problem is this blurriness at the intermediate range (when looking at LED displays and further away printing, feels like I'm looking through some water, when I look at people and objects, they're slightly blurry and not in focus). Since I've needed reading glasses for about 10 years, I know what that particular correction looks like, and this problem is beyond the reading glass correction area. What I see as different from other posts is that I saw very clearly within a few hours after surgery, but have had the same degree of blurriness in my intermediate vision since then with no day-to-day changes at all. The blurriness seems to decrease somewhat when I'm outside or under flourescent lighting (not perfect, but better). The only "relief" from the blurriness is to wear an old pair of reading glasses that are +1.50 which makes the blurriness go away completely, and my vision is exactly like I would like it to be. Because I haven't seen any changes since the day after surgery and because the +1.50 reading glasses correct all the intermediate blurriness, is it more likely I will need enchancement for the overcorrection or do I just need more time? A lot of the postings indicate fluctuation in the vision, but I'm not having any fluctuation except that my eyes tend to get more tired as the day goes on. Also, since I'm not experiencing any changes, if it is just a matter of time, will I all of a sudden one day wake up and all the blurriness is gone or one day I'll start to slowly see some changes? I know I don't have some of the more severe issues like I've seen posted, but any help so I can better understand my situation will be appreciated.
peonygirl

Postby free2dream » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:06 am

I am almost 3 months post lasik to correct a -6 and -4.5 vision. In my experience the intermediate blurriness slowly became better. At around the 3 week mark, I thought it would never change; but by 6-7 weeks it had become better. For me it was a very slow change, difficult to detect day by day, but I slowly began to notice that I could see the computer screen better without needing my reading glasses - my husband is now clear when I look at him across the dinner table, etc. Hope this helps to answer your questions. :)
free2dream

Postby peonygirl » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:49 pm

free2dream--thanks for the information. When talking to friends and family who've had lasik, no one had experienced this problem, so I was concerned that an enhancement might be the only option. Any changes I do notice seem to occur only when I'm outside or in bright light but don't seem to carry over to when I'm in the house under lower lighting. I'll be more patient now and hope for the best.
peonygirl

Postby free2dream » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:03 am

Today was my 3 month checkup my optometrist told me I am seeing 20/20 in both eyes.

Left eye - plano with .50 astigmatism: Right eye +.25 with .50 astigmatism.

I have no ghosting, glares, halos.....compared to where I started, (-4.75 and -6.00 with astigmatism in each eye of 1.75)

I do use my readers but am able to do computer work without them. Outside or near a bright light I can also read great without readers. I've been using preservative-free tears about 4 times/day, but was given the go-ahead to use whatever I like now! It was a long, patient process, but I'm very happy with my new 'eyes'!!
free2dream

Postby peonygirl » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:15 pm

free2dream--Thanks for your update. I went today for a check up (3 weeks instead of a month because I'll be on vacation then). I had noticed some slight changes over the last couple of days, and the doctor told me that my overcorrection has gone from a +1.50 to a +1.25. Although I tested at 20/50 today instead of 20/40 as in the past, he said it might just be due to my eyes being a little on the dry side today. I'm tentatively scheduled for an enhancement in Sept., but if I improve enough by then I won't go through with it. Because of the slight change in the overcorrection, he seems to think I'll probably have more changes over the next 2 months. I really appreciate your update; it helps to encourage me to be patient! I plan to continue with posting updates in case someone else can benefit from what we've gone through with our Lasik.
peonygirl

Postby Atlanta123 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:00 am

Hello-

I am 45 and I was nearsighted. I knew I would need reading glasses post surgery. However, they didn't tell me I would need glasses to see faces clearly and the food on my plate. I was overcorrected by .75 and .25. I am not happy with my close and intermediate vision either. I had a 3 week check up today and now I am at plano and .25. Doctor said .25 should improve to plano as I heal. However, they say intermediate will not likely improve. They gave me a lense to try out mono-vision (one eye for close and the other for far). It is a strange effect but it was sure nice to see things close without glasses today. However, time will tell if I can get used to it. We shall see. If so, I can keep the lense or get an enhancement in my non-dominate eye. If not, either deal with what I got or I could get progressive glasses. The good news is on sunny days I can see most distance much clearer. Glenn explained to me that is from the pinhole effect. So other option is to just have glasses for low light or when I need them to see clear. I am hoping I can get used to Mono-vision however.
Atlanta123

Re: Intermediate Vision Blurriness Update

Postby peonygirl » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:54 pm

Update: Well, it's been a little over 3 months since I had Lasik and my vision has pretty much remained the same: +1.25 overcorrection and 20/50. I won't be having an enhancement until November due to a scheduling problem with my physician's office and a planned vacation I can't cancel. I haven't seen much in the way of regression over the last 3 months. My physician tells me, as far as the upcoming enhancement, he plans to correct with no intentional under or overcorrection--in otherwords straight to plano.

Questions for Glenn or whomever can help: If the original Lasik correction was only very slightly overcorrected (I'm talking about +.25 to +.50) and then I ended up with a +1.25 overcorrection, how can an enhancement to plano work the second time without my eyes significantly overcorrecting again? Also, how does the relationship between +1.25 and 20/50 work? Any help with my questions will be greatly appreciated!
peonygirl

Return to Just Had It