rainbow colored starbursts

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

rainbow colored starbursts

Postby GeneralPatientInquiry » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:03 am

Since my surgery two weeks ago, I have been seeing rainbow starbursts. It doesn't seem to matter if it's at night or during the day. I see them around bright lights like headlights, streetlights, and overhead lights, but only when seen head on. They don't seem to be improving or worsening over time, and are, in fact, rather pretty, but I wanted to know what causes them and what to expect in the future.
This post is a reprint of a previously requested inquiry received by USAEyes.org via email.
GeneralPatientInquiry

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:05 am

Starbursting lights at night and poor vision indoors is not exactly common, but is a known vision limitation during the normal six month LASIK healing period. The light coming through the edge of the LASIK treatment zone is being bent differently and is distorted. This causes blur that will often present itself as starbursts from light sources at night. Continued healing usually resolves this problem, but it can take weeks to months.

Important:The colors may indicate another issue. Be sure give your doctor a call and mention these problems to your doctor and be checked for other problems, including an increase of pressure inside the eye.

You may ask your doctor if you can use Alphagan P eye drops. This is actually a glaucoma medicine, but it also causes the pupils to restrict slightly in low light environments. This may be an acceptable relief while your eyes heal.

You may want to read:
Lasik Pupil Size
Lasik Flap Healing
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It