Eyes get irritated/tired when using a computer

Post your questions and start your research in this forum if more than three months ago you had any type of surgery to reduce the need for glasses and contacts.

Eyes get irritated/tired when using a computer

Postby kane » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:08 am

I had my surgery 1 year ago. It was LASIK with Zyoptix (software). My vision prior was about -1.5 in each eye.

Everything was great until about 3 weeks ago.

Now even after an hour or so looking at my 27" LCD monitor, even taking regular breaks and getting up and walking around, I have the following symptoms:

- Difficulty focusing on text on the monitor (I've decreased the resolution and reduced the brightness). This gets really hard at the end of the day.

- Irritated eyes (I blink a lot which helps a bit).

- Slight pain in/behind my eyes (like a really dull throbbing).

- The last symptom is hard to explain. It's not like "halos" when driving at night, but it's almost like there's a fuzzy white light everywhere, when I'm looking at an unnatural source of light (monitor, TV, florescent light, etc.). This is just plain annoying.

Any ideas? I'm only 27 and if I knew I was trading my short distance vision for long distance I never would have gotten the surgery.

My entire life is with computers so this new affliction is seriously BAD. :cry:
kane

Postby kane » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:11 am

Oh, and I've tried some of these eye exercises on YouTube but they only seem to help temporarily.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=eye+exer ... fp=1&cad=b
kane

Postby dckiwi » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:23 am

Hi Kane,

Quick question, how bright is the room you are working in (i.e. do you have those fluoro lamps where you work)?

Also, has it just started to happen with the 27"?

I've had lasik, but don't have the issues you mention - but have had eyestrain before & after (I cut code all day). I had to change my environment so the lighting is quite dim; either that or I had to wear sunnies at the keyboard....
dckiwi

Postby kane » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:59 am

In the corner of the room near my desk I have one of those pole lamps where the light is directed up and radiates off the ceiling. It's not very bright. It uses a 3-way bulb so I can dim it more though.

Until 2 months ago most of my work was in an office with fluorescent ceiling lights.

The 27" I've had for about a year but have only been using it full-time for work at home for about 2 months now. It was previously at 1920x1200 but a few days ago I lowered it to 1680x1050.

Maybe I'll try the sunglasses but I have experimented with changing the brightness in the room and on my monitor (currently set to 0) and nothing seemed to help.

A friend said I might need reading glasses? But I'm only 27! Now I'm wondering if my eyes would have done this naturally without the surgery? I sure haven't heard of anyone in their 20s needing reading glasses.

I have an appointment next week with the Lasik people to see what they have to say.
kane

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:44 am

Computer users are notorious for not blinking enough. As the tear film dissipates, the smooth outer surface of the cornea becomes rough and irritated. The irritation can cause inflammation of the cornea. To correct one full diopter of refractive error the laser removes about 12 microns of corneal tissue. A human hair is about 60 microns thick. It does not take much inflammation and/or dry eye to make vision poor.

Use preservative-free artificial tears often. Set a timer if you must. Take 90 second closed-eye breaks on a regular basis. You will be amazed at the difference. And, of course, report all of this to your surgeon for his/her evaluation.

You may want to read about how to treat Lasik dry eye.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby kane » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:57 am

Thanks Glenn, I'll give the drops a try.

It doesn't "feel" like I have dry eyes though, but maybe they're not supposed to actually feel dry? If I blink quickly I can get tears to appear at the sides of my eyes.
kane

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:10 am

The problem may not be dry eyes, but a few days with artificial tears will tell. A part of the reason for the dry eyes is that the nerves within the cornea are disrupted. The "feeling" may not be getting to your brain. Also, there are several layers to a tear. You may have enough aqueous (water) to squeeze out at the edge of your eyes, but not enough lipids (oil) to keep evaporation manageable. Tears are very much a balancing act.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby kane » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:03 pm

Wow, I had no idea that dry eyes and tears were so complicated. Thanks for the explanation!
kane

Return to Had It A While Ago