Laser Eye Surgery

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Laser Eye Surgery

Postby Rafi » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:31 am

I am newly registered to this forum. I have only heard about the laser surgery and have no knowledge about laser type surgeries. I have -8.0 of both eyes and using contact lenses. I want to become free from glasses or lenses for last 6 years. My age is 35. I need guidance. Thanks
Rafi

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:39 pm

Your myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision within the treatable range for Lasik and other laser procedures, but it is on the high side. It would be reasonable to expect some fluctuation in vision during the immediate healing period and enhancement surgery will likely be discussed.

You may want to read about Lasik and Lasik for high correction.

After a comprehensive examination by a competent Lasik doctor you will likely have more questions.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby shealy2 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:54 pm

Hi.
I am considering getting the Epi lasik surgery for my son. I am wondering how your eyes are doing now since you had your surgery. I was told that with the epi lasik, the alchohol is not used. The doctor told my son that he could have the lasik or the epi lasik, but that the epi lasik is safer and just as effective as the lasik. Could you please let us know if you have had any complications?
shealy2

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:27 pm

You will probably find our article about Epi-Lasik interesting.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Rafi » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:40 am

I have a problem in my eyes that the eye sight is varying continuously. I have heard that laser surgery is suitable when the eye sight is controlled and not varying continuously.
Rafi

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:37 pm

In nearly all cases, vision must be stable for laser eye surgery. It may be possible to reduce your refractive error, but you would need to be carefully evaluated to determine why you have such fluctuation. If the underlying problem can be resolved, then laser eye surgery may be appropriate.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

should you have lasik? It depends...

Postby catnmus » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:04 am

Rafi, you asked whether you should have Lasik or not. I would ask you WHY you want to get out of contacts. I had no problems with my contact lenses, but chose to have Epi-Lasik.

Now my vision is a bit undercorrected, and I have an astigmatism, and very dry eyes at night, still, over 18 months later. The good news is, I don't yet need reading glasses because of the undercorrection. The bad news is, now I DO need glasses for driving at night, or sometimes in unfamiliar areas where I'd need to read small street signs, plus for the movie theater, or if I want good distance vision. And, instead of cleaning my contact lenses at night, I'm putting in eye gel. So I still can't read the clock in the middle of the night.

In retrospect, since I wasn't really having any problems with my contacts, I should have just stuck with them. If you were stuck in glasses, or if contacts are causing problems for an active lifestyle or something like that, that's one thing, but if it's just the inconvenience of dealing with contacts, well, I would urge you to consider how MUCH of an inconvenience they are. That would be up to you and your lifestyle. I'm not devastated or anything, and maybe I don't fully appreciate the part about not having reading glasses yet, but Lasik was not a "hallelujah" event for me.

(They will tell you that if your vision isn't "right" they will do an "enhancement", but what they might not tell you ahead of time that if you're "close enough" to 20/20 they don't recommend an enhancement, because who knows if they can actually get that tiny of a correction done without overcorrecting, or the additional risk of complications. Passing a driver's license eye exam is good enough, according to them. Well, it might not be, according to you!).
catnmus

Re: Laser Eye Surgery

Postby mileslilly » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:04 pm

Rafi wrote:I am newly registered to this forum. I have only heard about the laser surgery and have no knowledge about laser type surgeries. I have -8.0 of both eyes and using contact lenses. I want to become free from glasses or lenses for last 6 years. My age is 35. I need guidance. Thanks

Hello,
Here is a great website that you could look up
for all your laser surgery needs:
[redacted]
Let me know if you have any questions because I have a friend who had surgery with Doctor [redacted] and she is very satisfied with her life without glasses.

Note: Website and doctor's name have been removed.
mileslilly

Return to Thinking About It