Overcorrection Update - Question about New Prescription

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Overcorrection Update - Question about New Prescription

Postby overcorrectedjw » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:25 pm

I'm a 47-year-old male who underwent Custom IntraLasik 3 weeks ago. My uncorrected vision prior to the surgery was Right -775 SPH, -150 CYL, 20 AXIS; Left -825 SPH, -125 CYL, 175 AXIS. A few days after the surgery, I was told that I was overcorrected (+1.0) in both eyes. After 1-1/2 weeks, I was told the overcorrection had worsened (+2.0) in both eyes. Since then, I've noticed significant improvement in my vision, both near and far (especially in recent days). Today, a surgeon in the practice gave me a presciption for temporary glasses. He indicated that he adjusted it slightly for some expected regression. The new numbers are Right +0.75 SPH, -0.50 CYL, 10 AXIS; Left +1.00 SPH, -0.50 CYL, 180 AXIS. I know from my vision that it's heading in the right direction. The surgeon said to expect further regression. I'm hoping that someone can help me interpret my new prescription in order to assess what the Lasik procedure has accomplished. Also, at 3 weeks out, I'm wondering how much further regression I can expect. I'm hoping to avoid the need for enhancement surgery. Thanks for your help. :?:
overcorrectedjw

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:41 pm

From the prescription, you are mildly hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted) with a small amount of astigmatism (corneal irregularity).

Three weeks is still early in the healing process and you started with a rather high refractive error. It is still reasonable to expect continued changes in your vision.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Atlanta123 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:51 pm

OvercorrectedJW-How did you end up?

Thanks.
Atlanta123

Postby overcorrectedjw » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:18 am

My overcorrection from the first Lasik procedure never quite went away, so I had enhancement surgery. Immediately after the enhancement, my vision was terrific, better than at any time during my life. I was absolutely thrilled. Unfortunately, however, due to regression, my vision has slipped back into farsightedness. I can function without glasses (other than readers). While my vision is manageable, I wish it were better. I'm going to have one more enhancement done in November. The surgeon now has two surgeries worth of information. He plans on factoring in more anticipated regression. He and I both agree that it's better to end up slightly nearsighted rather than farsighted. The combination of being farsighted and over 40 produces less than stellar vision. Both the surgeon and I are optimistic that the third time will be a charm. Thanks for asking. Hope that get the vision you're seeking. Regards.
overcorrectedjw

Postby Atlanta123 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:52 pm

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear you need another enhancement. I would have thought that you would regress back to being nearsighted not to farsighted which was an overcorrection. Is that normal? What was your Rx post the enhancement when you were thrilled with the result? I hope the additional enhancement does the trick for you.

I am overcorrected in both eyes and have presypobia as well so vision is not great. I am 3 weeks out and will likely need an enhancement at 3 months or so. I started -2.25 and -2.50. This has been a frustrating process thus far as it has for you.
Atlanta123

Postby overcorrectedjw » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:31 pm

After the enhancement procedure, I was seeing 20/20. I assume that I was at or near plano. Since I was starting from being overcorrected (and farsighted) after the initial surgery, the regression caused me to drift back to being farsighted (almost to the point I was at after the initial surgery). The surgeon was surprised at the extent of the regression. This next enhancement, he'll likely bring me back well into nearsightedness, recognizing that I'll move back toward farsightedness. Hopefully, the stopping point will be at or near plano. Your starting point wasn't as bad as mine, so hopefully your overcorrection isn't too severe. Also, if your overcorrection is only minor, perhaps there's a good chance that you'll move back toward plano. Good luck.
overcorrectedjw

Return to Just Had It