post lasik undercorrection, please answer!

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

post lasik undercorrection, please answer!

Postby DocH » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:31 pm

Hello all, here's my story.
My eyes were bad pre-surgery, -10.25 in L eye and -6.50 in my R. I had custom lask (Zyoptic) 2 weeks ago.
As most have posted 1st day was quite crummy but I woke up on post-op day 1 with great sight, but then realized that this was only in my L (dominent) eye and up R eye was significantly blurry.
At my 7 day check the surgeon did admit to an under-correction of about -1.5 in my R eye and offered me a glasses script as I need good vision for work. He did say that he thought my eyes may change a bit on healing but was also talking about needing a possible touch-up.
My eye are fluctuating a bit now -unfortunately my great L eye is worse this weekend (especially with reading), with no change in my blurry R eye.
I also have a fair amount of haze in both eyes that does seem to be getting a bit better. My eyes feel quiet dry but I put in drops every hour anyway
Has anybody had an under correction of about -1.5 resolve without a further treatment?
DocH

Update

Postby DocH » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:30 pm

Well, I see people are reading even if not replying!
It's 3 weeks give or take and regression seems to have set in to my (previously) good L eye as well so now I have poor far vision with both eyes.
On the up side my near vision seems to be a little bit better.
When I have my next check I will have to get glasses as driving is starting to get scary.
I will post my actual numbers when I get them this week in case anyone will find it useful.
DocH

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:11 pm

You had such high refractive error and refractive error that was so different between the two eyes that it is reasonable to expect the kind of vision fluctuation and limitations you describe. It is most likely that enhancement Lasik surgery will be considered once your vision has settled down.

Your haze is more likley dry eye than actual corneal haze, although you should report any such problem to your doctor for evaluation.

Post your numbers and progress.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DocH » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:29 pm

Thanks Glenn!
I am now -0.75 in my L eye and -1.75 in my R (sigh)
My recent exam shows I do still have inflammation which in a way is good as if this resolves then my sight may improve. My eyes are still dry even though I use drops every hour.
I have ordered my glasses as I am on the egde of being unsafe to drive.
For those of you who prefer Snellen values I am 20/60 R and 20/40 R
DocH

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:33 am

These are actually pretty good numbers considering your highy preop myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision and it being so early in the healing period.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby DocH » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:58 am

Sorry for the error in my last post I meant 20/60 R and 20/40 L
Glenn,
I know it's a great improvment from my starting point but for 2 weeks I was plano in my L eye and it was so good that I just want to get back there....
I still have hope that (at least) my L eye will improve (I am still only 3.5 weeks past surgery) and will continue to post my progress.
DocH

oral anti-inflammitories

Postby DocH » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:10 pm

Dear Glenn,
Do you have any thoughts on oral anti-inflamms after surgery?
eg Ibuprophen on a daily basis.
Not to replace the first week of steroid drops but on an ongoing basis like weeks 3-9.
Do you know of any evidence that it helps healing (which sounds like a pile of inflammation)?
Thanks!
DocH

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:25 pm

Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents such as Ibuprofen are often recommended by doctors to control Lasik related swelling.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

update

Postby DocH » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:38 pm

I will post updates as I find it annoying to be following a gripping story for it to end half way through.
Not to much has happened this week (4 1/2 wks post surgery)
Near vision (computer and reading) is good ie no glasses needed.
TV distance is variable but mainly OK and far vision is still poor (I pick up my glasses today for driving etc)
Measured vision (snellen) is 20/30 L and 20/50 R which is better than last post.
I am still putting in drops every hour and my eyes are still telling me when the hour is almost up.
I tried the odd Ibuprofen but I didn't notice a difference.
My next check-up is in 2 weeks (6 1/2 wks after surgery) and I will up-date then or sooner as I am quickly getting addicted to this site!
Hope these notes are useful to someone.
DocH

Re: update

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:41 pm

Updates are appreciated by all.

DocH wrote:I tried the odd Ibuprofen but I didn't notice a difference.

I once had a doctor explain inflammation like a wagon going down a trail. You have to catch up with it before you can jump on. It does take some time for ibuprofen to be fully effective.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

update

Postby DocH » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:20 pm

Went for my next check-up.
Apparently my vision varied widely during the exam due to dryness.
So it was thought there was no real change.
He put in little plugs to try and improve this issue and if they work he will put in ones that last for a longer time.
I will post if they make a difference.
For reference I am putting in drops on the hour and taking an anti-inflammitory daily and flax oil twice a day.
DocH

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:52 pm

It sounds like your doctor provided dissolving punctal plugs. If they work, you can have silicone ones that will be long-lasting. From your treatment it sounds like you read our article on Lasik dry eye treatment, but be sure your artificial tears are 100% preservative-free.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Why should artificial tears be "preservative free"

Postby Anyman » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:39 am

LasikExpert wrote:...... but be sure your artificial tears are 100% preservative-free.

Won't the drops get a bit funky if left open too long or if kept on one's person?
Anyman

Thanks for the update-- any starbursts/halos?

Postby Anyman » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:45 am

DocH wrote:I will post updates as I find it annoying to be following a gripping story for it to end half way through.
Not to much has happened this week (4 1/2 wks post surgery)
Near vision (computer and reading) is good ie no glasses needed.
TV distance is variable but mainly OK and far vision is still poor (I pick up my glasses today for driving etc)
Measured vision (snellen) is 20/30 L and 20/50 R which is better than last post.

Hope these notes are useful to someone.

Your notes are indeed helpful. I must remember to do the same.

Do you see any halos/starbursts? If yes, have they gotten better?
Anyman

halo's

Postby DocH » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:44 pm

Anyman
I had halo's L worse than R for the first few weeks (I am 6-7 weeks now) and they have slowly decreased. I have not tried driving at night yet so I can't comment on that yet (no reason why- I just don't drive much after dark)
DocH

Next

Return to Just Had It