Considering Epi-lasik...

If you are thinking about having Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL eye surgery, this is the forum to research your concerns or ask your questions.

Considering Epi-lasik...

Postby sharoonie » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:57 pm

I'm 26 years old and I've been wanting to get lasik done for the longest time, (I first looked into it 3 years ago) however I was told that I'm not a good candidate for lasik due to my thin corneal thickness, large pupils and high refractions. Here are my measurements:

refractions: OD -9.50 and OS -8.75
Pupil Size: OD 7.7 mm OS 8.6 mm
Corneal thickness: OD 497 and OS 499

I saw 7 doctors over the past 3 years. 5 doctors told me that I was not a good candidate for Lasik and 2 doctors told me that I was a candidate for lasik.
Alternative to lasik, one doctor recommended that I get epi-lasik. Another told me he recommends the versyse implants or visian.

I understand that with epi-lasik there is an elevated risk of corneal haze due to my high refractions and that some patients go back to wearing contacts or glasses. This really concerns me if I'm one of those that have to live with a permanent corneal haze in my eye. I really don't mind if I have to go back to wearing glasses again, at least it wont be as thick as before.
Also with the lens implants, I'm concerned of higher risks such as retinal detachement and the loss of endothelial cells. It's only been out since 2006, which is relatively new and we dont know the long term results.

On top of that, I do have dry eyes. So, If i were go get the surgery done, I do have an option to get punctal plugs.

So, basically, I need some encouragement and support right now to help reduce this fear I have inside. But, I'm really hesitant right now due to all the risks. I want to know if there's anyone out there similiar to my eyes and specific issues. If you have similar eyes like mine, please reply and tell me the measurements of your eyes and what procedure you went through. I like to hear from people that had great results and not so good results. Please be honest...
Thanks!
sharoonie

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:46 am

I'm sorry to rain on your potential parade but I'm not about to encourage anyone to have elective surgery when 5 out of 7 doctors tell you that you are a poor candidate and all the numbers you provide concur with that conclusion.

I really understand the motivation to reduce your need for corrective lenses, but contacts and glasses are a minor inconvenience when compared to the relatively high probability that you would have long-term degradation in vision quality with a surface ablation like Epi-Lasik, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik and risk making your corneas unstable with Lasik or IntraLasik.

With your relatively high refractive error you may want to look into phakic intraocular lenses (P-IOL).Your pupil size may still be an issue, but this is a Lasik alternative that may be at least reasonably safe.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Thinking About It