1 week post-op Lasik, couple of complications- UPDATED

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

1 week post-op Lasik, couple of complications- UPDATED

Postby crystaline » Sat May 16, 2009 3:47 am

Hello all :)

So I went in for my 1 week check up today and things were not so good. I knew something was wrong because after my 24hr checkup where I was at 20/20 already, I have felt my vision deteriorate since then in the past few days. My right eye had also got cloudy and I was experiencing pain in both eyes.

The lady who checked me in was surprised when I was less than 20/60 only a few days since my first checkup of 20/20.

When the surgeon checked on me, he said I had significant epithelial ingrowth and some corneal hazing. He told me to continue with the Pred Forte for another 2 weeks at 4 drops a day for the first week and 2 drops a day for the second week. If it was still there he said he would "irrigate it"

After experiencing such a deterioration within just 6 days and hearing there were these complications, I nearly burst into tears on the spot, since I have also lost the ability to do the other things I enjoy such as reading and computer.

I have read some articles online about the epithelial ingrowth and they state there is up to a 40% /50% chance of it reoccuring, even if it is removed.

I guess I would just really like to know if there are any others out there who had either of these complications in the first week, and what happened? If they healed how long did it take?
Is there anything I can do in my daily activities to help ease the healing and possibly stop the progress of the epithelial ingrowth... more rest? Avoiding the small amount of time I can manage on the computer?

I have seen my vision visibly get worse by the day and it has left me in a bad way emotionally. I would appreciate any encouragement or words you can give.

Thank you very much in advance.
Last edited by crystaline on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
crystaline

Postby crystaline » Tue May 19, 2009 4:47 am

UPDATE:

Woke up this morning, knew something felt wrong.

Right eye inflamed and painful. Cloudiness/haze worse than usual.

Called the clinic to see what they said and they brought me in this afternoon and surgeon found DLK in right eye as well as the corneal ingrowth, but increased now.

He will reposition the flap on the right eye tomorrow and clean it out.

Increased steroids for right eye and changed it from pred forte to omnipred, one drop per hr. Still 4 per day in left eye.

Even though the left eye had just as much ingrowth last time we checked, he only seems concerned about working on the right one at this time, so I guess we will go with that-one step at a time.

The vision in the left eye has deteriorated further somewhat and is actually weaker than my cloudy right eye, but I accept this may just be part of recovery or may still need to be addressed.

Hopefully the valium will work better this time... took 2 last time and was still so very very anxious on the table!
crystaline

Postby It's Just Me » Tue May 19, 2009 3:43 pm

so sorry you are going through this!!

Maybe ask for more valium?
It's Just Me

Postby Ryan D » Tue May 19, 2009 4:02 pm

crystaline,

Hang in there. I went through, and am still recovering from a similar situation.

I suffered a large epi deffect (left eye) in the center of my eye the day of surgery March 12, 2009. Followed by corneal haze, and later DLK.

To top it off my epi deffect was really slow to heal (2 weeks). Now it has been just over 2 months since the experience, and the deffect has healed, the corneal haze was dealt with immediatley. My surgeon lifted my flap and irrigated the cells out. The DLK showed up a couple days after that, but responded to the steroids. Oh and I had a little epithelial ingrowth too, but it was insignificant, and hasn't caused any problems.

I am seeing about 20/25 ish in my left eye at the moment. All problems have subsided, except for the area of my epithelium that was slow to heal. It formed what the doctor described as nipple dead center of my eye. So it caused some serious ghosting in bright light.

The good thing is, that it is a time issue. It gets better weekly, and I hardly notice it, unless I am in the sun. Luckily my right eye is the dominant one, and is seeing well.

So hang in there, it will get better. It will take time, so be patient. I was nervous as could be. I lost weight and all. A lot had to do with the oral steroids I was on.

Ryan
Ryan D

Postby crystaline » Fri May 22, 2009 12:39 am

Thanks for the comments :)

I had the flap taken up 2 days ago... the surgeon said that he was surprised by actually a lot of the issue was just inflammatory cells, with just a small amount of DLK and ingrowth cells. He believes it was these inflammatory cells causing the clouding. Apparently using the intralase can more likely create this response?

Because of this, he decided not to take up the left eye flap, as that was never as bad to begin with and didn't want to run the risk.

2 Days on, the clouding is beginning to come back in my right eye, although the left eye is remaining ok.

He switched me back to the pred forte as opposed to the omnipred as he said sometimes omnipred can have a negative effect on hazing due to a "vehicle" in the med.

I'm on quite a high dose of steroids in the right eye, and possibly oral steroids depending how this goes, from tomorrow.
I hope not as I am getting some strange side effects from them even though I try to keep them from going into my system and just on the eye!

I am hoping that this clouding/hazing can be stopped, and can't understand why it is trying to come back another 2 days after flap repositioning!

Again, thank you for the comments guys, it is so helpful that others can come back to the forum and share that it does get better as it goes along and we just have to hang in there and not give up, although it feels that way sometimes.

Ryan D. I hope your good recovery continues!
crystaline

Postby Ryan D » Fri May 22, 2009 1:44 am

The same happened to me... I was starting to clear and my oral steroids were being tapered off, and bam the DLK hit and it got worse. The doc increased my oral and eye steroids, and things improved over about a week.

So I have been there. I really feel for you you that it happened to both eyes.

Rest your eyes as much as possible. Keep us posted.

Ryan
Ryan D

Postby It's Just Me » Mon May 25, 2009 6:38 am

I agree! Rest your eyes!

It taikes a while to heal. It really does.
It's Just Me

Postby crystaline » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:14 am

UPDATE:

I'm at the 2 month mark now.

My left eye, previously the weaker, did take a big jump last week and I now have much more clarity in it.

The right eye, the one I had refloated at 2 weeks post op, and the strongest pre-surgery, is still giving me some issues. I have quite dramatic halos caused by this right eye.

I am still on pred forte steroid drops due to the hazing problems i had in both eyes from the word go. I was raised up to 6 drops a day 2 wks post op, and since then have gone down a drop every couple of weeks or so, and I'm now on 3-ish a day.

I have become used to the hazing I did have, so it really doesnt present too much of a problem, and the surgeon says it isn't too serious as hazing goes. The thing that is most noticable is the halos, which I see in both broad daylight and dim light. The worst is if I go to a mall... the all around white walls makes it feel like I'm taking a walk in heaven!

The dryness is still quite dramatic, and I do wake up a couple of times a night with "sticky eyes" or them stuck to my eyelids! So I will be happy to see that nerve begin to heal up a bit as those non preservative eyedrop vials are getting pricey!

On the eye chart I am about 20/25 in each eye separately, although it is a lot less clear in the right eye, I can still make out the letters.

The surgeon is positive and I go back in a month, where he hopes to take me off the pred forte for good!
I hope to continue to see improvement. The halos are a recent development, from the last couple of weeks and were not there immediately post surgery, so I will continue to see how it all goes, as the eyes are still fluctuating somewhat.
Frankly, I am just relieved that I wont need to have either eye irrigated again at this point, fingers crossed!
crystaline

Return to Just Had It